Error pfsense freebsd

Developers on the qemu-devel list found the problem. It is related to a seabios update (recompile).

After replacing /usr/share/kvm/bios.bin with the version found in pve-qemu-kvm_1.3-10_amd64 I've successfully booted pfSense.

Do you think we can use this as a temporary fix?

(We con also keep both versions of bios.bin and add args: -bios /path/to/oldversion-bios.bin in the vm config)

After replacing /usr/share/kvm/bios.bin with the version found in pve-qemu-kvm_1.3-10_amd64 I've successfully booted pfSense.

Do you think we can use this as a temporary fix?

(We con also keep both versions of bios.bin and add args: -bios /path/to/oldversion-bios.bin in the vm config)

Thanks for finding bug bypass

BTW, I also have to use qemu64 to make pfsense work, instead of kvm64.
Is that normal?

BTW, I also have to use qemu64 to make pfsense work, instead of kvm64.
Is that normal?

Had to do the same. To make it work I added the bios_old.bin file to /var/share/kvm and changed the vm.conf to:

args: -bios /usr/share/kvm/bios_old.bin
cpu: qemu64

FreeBSD is working again!

Is the new bios stable enough for other operating systems? Or can we expect other failures (BSOD/Kernel panics etc.)?

Hi, you may disable the atkbd module via hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1" in /boot/loader.conf.

To get the FreeBSD VM boot use the console, enter the boot loader, then:
set hint.atkbd.
0.disabled="1"
boot

Beware that this disables the keyboard emulation in the console!
You may also try some flags (see man atkbd), but at least "0x8" didn't work for me.

This fixed my issue! Thank you very much!

we just uploaded a fix (new seabios) for the issue to our pvetest repository. if you do not want to switch to pvetest, you can download the package manually and install it with:

Code:
wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/squeeze/pvetest/binary-amd64/pve-qemu-kvm_1.4-7_amd64.deb

dpkg -i pve-qemu-kvm_1.4-7_amd64.deb

pls test and give feedback.

we just uploaded a fix (new seabios) for the issue to our pvetest repository. if you do not want to switch to pvetest, you can download the package manually and install it with:

Code:
wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/squeeze/pvetest/binary-amd64/pve-qemu-kvm_1.4-7_amd64.deb

tried and it didnt work for me

pve-manager: 2.3-13 (pve-manager/2.3/7946f1f1)
running kernel: 2.6.32-18-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.3-88
pve-kernel-2.6.32-16-pve: 2.6.32-82
pve-kernel-2.6.32-18-pve: 2.6.32-88
pve-kernel-2.6.32-17-pve: 2.6.32-83
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.4-4
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.93-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.9-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-36
qemu-server: 2.3-17
pve-firmware: 1.0-21
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-48
libpve-access-control: 1.0-26
libpve-storage-perl: 2.3-6
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.4-7
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

There appears to be two issues here...
The BIOS issue with newer KVM versions, and an issue FreeBSD seems to have with certain processors.
On my HP Microserver, FreeBSD (and by extension pfsense) has never worked under KVM unless i change the cpu type (eg to core2duo), whereas on several other boxes it did work until the fairly recent kvm update.
The BIOS issue seems to be fixed with the latest KVM, although the other issue remains.

Code:

For me, everything works after the update.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!