[SOLVED] Proxmox 6.0-9 DNS Host settings reset every time

redjohn

Apr 22, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have a big problem with DNS Settings in Proxmox 6.0-9. If I edit DNS Settings via Webinterface (Host -> System -> DNS) every time the settings will be erase after 1-2 minutes.

I enter two other DNS Servers and save settings, now for about 1-2 minutes settings work but after this time, the settings are reset to default and only one dns server is there.

I also tried to edit /etc/resolv.conf but this settings are also erase or overwrite with default settings. But can I do?

Regards,

Olli

Are you running any additional software on the Proxmox VE node (eg. NetworkManager)?

i have the same problem in proxmox ce 6 an i have an other network problem in this version too:

in (more than one) case i have to change the ip (or the subnet) from proxmox host
- for example from 192.168.100.10 to 192.168.100.20 -
so i have changed the new ip in the vmbr settings - as recommended.
after that the host was reachable over the network with this new ip but hast still used the old ip in background after reboot.
i have first noticed this after connection problems between proxmox a new host with the old proxmox ip.
if i look with "ip address" or "ifconfig" i can see that de old ip is still on the network adapter.

ic can change this with "ifconfig -adaptername inet- -newip-" but this is lost after reebot.

other procederes like setting the new ip fix under /etc/network/interfaces make no difference.

so maybe i dont understand the proxmox own procederes to changing ip or subnet but i cant find a solution.
;-(

addendum:
my setting is a debian 10 installation with an proxmox ve 6 installation on top.
(i have used before debian 9 with proxmox ve)

O.k., sometimes If the question is put in writing the answer is not far away…

The answer is maybe in "/etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf", this setting file was under my radar.

After changing some corresponding ip settings in this file (host and gateway ip) the ip settings was fine after reeboot.
BUT the dns problem persists, added dns in proxmox ve webconfig, are displayed in webconfig but not seen in "/etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf" and after reeboot the addes dns servers was lost in webconfig.

So maybe proxmox cant or want write in this file or use this file for reading only?

So i have changed all dns settings in "/etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf" to "None" and after reeboot i can make new dns settings in webconfig which persists after reboot.

The last step was to set to see was happend after reeboot if the ip settings in "/etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf" was set to "None".
After reebot the used ip and gateway address in ifconfig was correct but the last used dns settings in webconfig was reset to originally settings from my dhcp. BUT dns settings in webconfig was no more persists after reboot.
This behavior persists until the host and and gateway ip was set fix in "/etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf".

Maybe someone can explain the procedere behind the proxmox settings in conjunction to originary debian settings in /etc/*?
So such manual (hacked) changes dont damage the proxmox host in case of an future upgrade.

Regards
yummiweb

@yummiweb, any other network manager, besides the default ifupdown will interfere with networking on Proxmox VE. And please don't hijack someone else's thread.

Sorry for reviving the old post, as I got the same problem which the DNS setting keeps revert a minute or two after I changed it from the GUI.
Turn out I figured it out, I added something in my /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf which was long forgotten.

#Override DHCP DNS Settings.
supersede domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4;

The problem was gone after I commented this line out.

in /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
#Override DHCP DNS Settings.
supersede domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4;
Tank you for the hint.
In my case I have removed domain-name-servers, domain-search and, host-name :
#request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers, # domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name, # dhcp6.name-servers, dhcp6.domain-search, dhcp6.fqdn, dhcp6.sntp-servers, # netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu, # rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers; request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers, domain-name, dhcp6.name-servers, dhcp6.domain-search, dhcp6.fqdn, dhcp6.sntp-servers, netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu, rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers;

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!