[SOLVED] PVE Kernel do not boot

failx1993

Apr 22, 2019
Hello together,

I have some strange issue with PVE 5.3 and 5.4.
I can install Proxmox without any issue. But the PVE Kernel will not boot. After GRUB Loader I can see "normal" boot messages and after that (the moment where normally the prompt appears) the screen stays black and nothing responds to any kind of input. Same issue when I install Debian 9.8 and on top of it the Proxmox package with kernel. I can not boot the pve Kernel. Exact the same behavior. When I choose the Debian build in AMD64 kernel the System will boot normally. I suggest that this is an issue with UEFI. So I changed my BIOS to Legacy boot and reinstalled Debian/Proxmox. But also the same behavior. I also can not see any error Message in the Syslog file. It seems that everything stopped working after the system tries to boot the kernel. I guess that this is an incompatibility with my Hardware.

HW:
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
ASRock Fatility B450 K4

Is there a know issue with AMD or ASRock Hardware and newer PVE Kernels ?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

The problem is the Graphics driver.
AMD made a major change in it.
The problem is old kernel (before 4.19) work only with old firmware.
New firmware only works with new kernels.
Alternative you can disable the graphics kernel module.

Additional Info: I installed Kernel 4.13 and it is booting without any issue.
Hi,

The problem is the Graphics driver.
AMD made a major change in it.
The problem is old kernel (before 4.19) work only with old firmware.
New firmware only works with new kernels.
Alternative you can disable the graphics kernel module.

Yes, the problem with Graphics. I have put nomodeset in grub and update-grub. After I have success boot with Athlon 200GE and HDMI Display Emulator for Standalone Server.

MY GRUB Parameters
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset spectre_v2=off nopti pti=off amd_iommu=on"

Last edited:
Reactions: peterge
Thanks a lot for your input :)
Will the nomodeset option disable the graphic cards features ? I am using my build as home server for vms, containers and media playback (yes I know it's not build for this use case). As I can read about nomodeset it has only impact to the splash screen.

@wolfgang
You mean that the pve kernel uses a newer firmware and amd does not support it yet ?

Thanks a lot for your input :) As I can read about nomodeset it has only impact to the splash screen.
According to askubuntu.com
nomodeset
The newest kernels have moved the video mode setting into the kernel. So all the programming of the hardware specific clock rates and registers on the video card happen in the kernel rather than in the X driver when the X server starts.. This makes it possible to have high resolution nice looking splash (boot) screens and flicker free transitions from boot splash to login screen. Unfortunately, on some cards this doesnt work properly and you end up with a black screen. Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.
I have similliar problem after fresh install Debian and after Proxmox-ve pkg. With Debian kernel there is no problem. But after install Proxmox-ve and Proxmox kernel my system stucks on booting. After googling I have found solution to add nomodeset to GRUB.

So, for Me is was workaround.

Reactions: failx1993
You mean that the pve kernel uses a newer firmware and amd does not support it yet ?
4.15 is in the middle of the change.
In the next PVE Kernel this will be fixed but not in the 4.15 one.

Reactions: failx1993
Additional Info: I installed Kernel 4.13 and it is booting without any issue.

How did you install this Kernel? I have a kernel panic and the system won't boot an I can't find instruction on how to re-install the pve kernel so it can boot.. Let me know. Thanks.

How did you install this Kernel? I have a kernel panic and the system won't boot an I can't find instruction on how to re-install the pve kernel so it can boot.. Let me know. Thanks.

I changed repository to unstable so i get all the new stuff including this kernel. But if you have a Kernel Panic, something i broken wich you need to fix bevor upgrading kernel. (BTW: New Unstable uses Kernel 5.0, wich seems to be working)

Edit:
Did not read what i wrote befor :D I do not use this setup anymore, but a I remember i installed an older version (I think I choosed 5.2) of the Proxmox appliance.

I changed repository to unstable so i get all the new stuff including this kernel. But if you have a Kernel Panic, something i broken wich you need to fix bevor upgrading kernel. (BTW: New Unstable uses Kernel 5.0, wich seems to be working)

Edit:
Did not read what i wrote befor :D I do not use this setup anymore, but a I remember i installed an older version (I think I choosed 5.2) of the Proxmox appliance.

Yes. What I am looking for are instructions how to reload the kernel so I can successfully boot because I currently have a kernel panic and unable to boot into the os at all.

And my server was still on Proxmox v3 I think, and with vz containers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!