> 3000 mSec Ping and packet drops with VirtIO under load

So you suggested to install the pve-qemu-kvm package from PVE 4?
yes
But I don't think it is easy because there might be a lot of dependencies, but we'll see.
only dependency is the old libscsi (which don't conflict with current libiscsi from proxmox5).
See my previous post with links to .deb

if you have time to test ,it could be great to known if it's work or not with qemu 2.7 from proxmox4, to be 100% sure that regression is coming from qemu 2.9.

This also is going on with LXC for me (4 qemu server that are almost idle and 1 LXC container doing a lot of write actions)
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 23.48.10.png Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 23.47.41.png

Im going to check kernel, because i upgraded from 4.4 (still installed) will report my results later today

The last day it's running more stable and faster! Even during the same actions as I did Tuesday the IO delay didn't go sky-high and the vm didn't became unresponsive

Code:
#uname -a
Linux pve7 4.13.3-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.13.3-2 (Wed, 27 Sep 2017 14:01:40 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have installed pve-kernel-4.13.3-1-pve_4.13.3-2_amd64.deb on my test system and I can't see any difference. I have 18% packet loss during the boot process and I was pinging from the host. Response times fluctuating and often over 300ms.
My test server has nothing running but this single windows server 2016 KVM VM so it is pretty good to compare the behavior between a single change on the configuration.

installed and running fine
What do you mean by that? The kernel was installed successfully and boots, or did it resolve the issue we're discussing here for you?

I have tried to install these two .deb packages:
Code:
#dpkg -i *.deb
Selecting previously unselected package libiscsi4.
(Reading database ... 66968 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack libiscsi4_1.15.0-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libiscsi4 (1.15.0-1) ...
dpkg: warning: downgrading pve-qemu-kvm from 2.9.1-1 to 2.7.1-4
Preparing to unpack pve-qemu-kvm_2.7.1-4_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking pve-qemu-kvm (2.7.1-4) over (2.9.1-1) ...
Setting up libiscsi4 (1.15.0-1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pve-qemu-kvm:
 pve-qemu-kvm depends on libgnutls-deb0-28 (>= 3.3.0); however:
  Package libgnutls-deb0-28 is not installed.
 pve-qemu-kvm depends on libnettle4 (>= 2.6); however:
  Package libnettle4 is not installed.
 pve-qemu-kvm depends on libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4); however:
  Package libpng12-0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package pve-qemu-kvm (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 pve-qemu-kvm

I have searched on http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/jessie/pve-no-subscription/binary-amd64/ but can't find the mentioned packages there.
My guess is these are system packages from debian. Maybe I can find these in the debian repos.
If you know where I can get these packages or if there is a better way, please let me know.

I have tried to install these two .deb packages:
Code:
#dpkg -i *.deb
Selecting previously unselected package libiscsi4.
(Reading database ... 66968 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack libiscsi4_1.15.0-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libiscsi4 (1.15.0-1) ...
dpkg: warning: downgrading pve-qemu-kvm from 2.9.1-1 to 2.7.1-4
Preparing to unpack pve-qemu-kvm_2.7.1-4_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking pve-qemu-kvm (2.7.1-4) over (2.9.1-1) ...
Setting up libiscsi4 (1.15.0-1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pve-qemu-kvm:
 pve-qemu-kvm depends on libgnutls-deb0-28 (>= 3.3.0); however:
  Package libgnutls-deb0-28 is not installed.
 pve-qemu-kvm depends on libnettle4 (>= 2.6); however:
  Package libnettle4 is not installed.
 pve-qemu-kvm depends on libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4); however:
  Package libpng12-0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package pve-qemu-kvm (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 pve-qemu-kvm

I have searched on http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/jessie/pve-no-subscription/binary-amd64/ but can't find the mentioned packages there.
My guess is these are system packages from debian. Maybe I can find these in the debian repos.
If you know where I can get these packages or if there is a better way, please let me know.

I have theses 3 packages installed, but It was on a proxmox5 after upgrade from proxmox4.
they are coming from jessie package.
You can install them safely, no conflict with newer packages

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnutls28/libgnutls-deb0-28_3.3.8-6+deb8u7_amd64.deb
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/nettle/libnettle4_2.7.1-5+deb8u2_amd64.deb
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libp/libpng/libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3_amd64.deb

I have theses 3 packages installed, but It was on a proxmox5 after upgrade from proxmox4.
they are coming from jessie package.
You can install them safely, no conflict with newer packages

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnutls28/libgnutls-deb0-28_3.3.8-6+deb8u7_amd64.deb
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/nettle/libnettle4_2.7.1-5+deb8u2_amd64.deb
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libp/libpng/libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3_amd64.deb
Thank you!

I had to download one additional library "libhogweed2" but then it installed fine. I rebooted the host after the installation was done.

But: Still the same issue!

Thank you!

I had to download one additional library "libhogweed2" but then it installed fine. I rebooted the host after the installation was done.

But: Still the same issue!

if with kernel 4.4 + pve-qemu-kvm 2.7 both from proxmox 4 on proxmox 5, you still have the problem, I really don't understand what it can be ....

Are you 100% sure that you don't have the same problem with proxmox 4 on this specific server ?

hi, yes we are also experiencing similar problems but with ide. the guest is a windows 2012 (not r2)
we allways used ide drivers because virtio was slower in win2012 (NOT r2) then ide. (with windows 2012 r2 virtio is faster)
after upgrading to proxmox 5 from 4.4 the io load from the hoste node changed from under 1% to about 5% .
once we also experienced a total network hang - and had to reactivate the network card of the guest

as far as i can read there is still no solution fot this?

hi, yes we are also experiencing similar problems but with ide. the guest is a windows 2012 (not r2)
we allways used ide drivers because virtio was slower in win2012 (NOT r2) then ide. (with windows 2012 r2 virtio is faster)
after upgrading to proxmox 5 from 4.4 the io load from the hoste node changed from under 1% to about 5% .
once we also experienced a total network hang - and had to reactivate the network card of the guest

as far as i can read there is still no solution fot this?

maybe problem is different. (different storage,network configuration).
maybe you can try to install pve-kernel 4.4 , test. and if it don't work, test pve-qemu-kvm 2.7 from proxmox4. (I have posted link in previous posts).

Can you explain what you have changed, please?

Sure thing, nothing special though!

I still had kernel version 4.4 installed, booted from that one and the whole system became more stable! I don't know if all issues are resolved but my I/O is back at 0.5% except for backup times then it goes to 4%

maybe problem is different. (different storage,network configuration).
maybe you can try to install pve-kernel 4.4 , test. and if it don't work, test pve-qemu-kvm 2.7 from proxmox4. (I have posted link in previous posts).

hi,
i can confirm now that with kernel 4.4.79 the load ist a lot better! (then the actual and newet kernel from proxmox 5.0)
i hope that with proxmox 5.1 the new 5.12 kernel will resolve the load problems.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!