[solved] proxmox ve 4.2 unable to boot vm from imported image

Peter Altherr

Apr 28, 2016
dear community,

i did a fresh install of proxmox ve 4.2 and tried to import some existing appliances in ova-format like i used to do using proxmox ve 3.4 by pushing the disk image whether converted in qcow2 or raw format to it's respective place in /var/lib/vz/vm-id/images replacing the formerly created dummy-image.

no chance to get the vm booting from that image. i tried two different ova-appliances tested before and converted in qcow2 or raw. doesn't matter, no success. in boot screen i get always the message "no bootable hdd".

then i installed ubuntu 16.04 from an iso image to a local qcow2 file and everything works fine. so this is the end of my wisdom :)

if someone has a clue, would be very appreciated.

thanks a lot and proxmox keep up the excellent work

peter

dear community,

i did a fresh install of proxmox ve 4.2 and tried to import some existing appliances in ova-format like i used to do using proxmox ve 3.4 by pushing the disk image whether converted in qcow2 or raw format to it's respective place in /var/lib/vz/vm-id/images replacing the formerly created dummy-image.

no chance to get the vm booting from that image. i tried two different ova-appliances tested before and converted in qcow2 or raw. doesn't matter, no success. in boot screen i get always the message "no bootable hdd".

then i installed ubuntu 16.04 from an iso image to a local qcow2 file and everything works fine. so this is the end of my wisdom :)

if someone has a clue, would be very appreciated.

thanks a lot and proxmox keep up the excellent work

peter

Could this be a file permission issue maybe? When you replaced the dummy image with the old image, did you compare the permissions/user/group and make sure to make them the same?

no, still not but i am going to do that. and will post the result by tomorrow (i am already off work for today). thanks for that hint.

these are the file permissions:

-rw-r----- 1 root root 34416623616 Apr 28 16:56 ubuntu_vm-100-disk-1.qcow2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 433324032 Apr 28 17:00 vm-100-disk-1.qcow2

the first line shows the working disk-image and the second one is my converted image which does not boot. however changing my converted images permissions from 0644 to 0640 (the permissions of the working image file) does not change anything.

so i guess it is not a permission problem. anyway, thanks a lot for your hint and i keep investigating the problem.

what a shame, it seems i did the mistake to convert ova-files directly to qcow2 or raw using qemu-img and this caused the problem. what i did now is extracting the vdmk out of the ova and only converted the vdmk and voilá my proxmox vm is able to boot that image.

Reactions: mattlach

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!