znapzend backup generator script

PretoX

Apr 5, 2016
Hi guys,
so everyone who uses proxmox on zfs probably knows that pve-zsync is not a best tool to make backups (no sudo, mbuffer and gzip etc) and you have to modify script after each update. And I also saw topics about znapzend tool, but you have to make separate task for each zfs dataset and manually copy the config file which is not a bit task but still I wanted to do it faster.
So I made a small script to auto-create all znapzend jobs and to backup config files during initial vm/container backup configuration. Hope this helps to anyone. And maybe some improvements appreciated.

Topics to be reviewed to get familiar to this backup tool:
https://forum.proxmox.com/search/378196/?page=2&q=znapzend&o=date&c[node]=16
http://www.znapzend.org/

Attachments

• pm_znapsend.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 87
I'm using znapzend to replicate my backups to remote sites, which afaik is not possible with PVE Replication.
Very good indeed. But there can be conflicts with PVE replication...

How are you monitoring your backups? I''ve looked around but found nothing about.
It could be very usefull an email alert if the job fail

I have znapzend running on pve 5.2 but see no reason why it shouldn’t run on pve 6 as it’s using standard ZFS features and commands.

I have tried znapzend but i could not get it to work, what im trying to do is backup vm to another usb external disk but cannot get it to work.
this is my setup but not sure if im doing it correctly
Code:
znapzendzetup create --recursive --mbuffer=/usr/bin/mbuffer --mbuffersize=1G SRC '2d=>1d' rpool/data/vm-125-disk-0 DST:a '14d=>1d' usbbak

and as for the script i zee the variable ZFSPOOL=
what if i only want to backup a certain vm?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!