[SOLVED] ZFS without RAID?

Bugbear

Dec 29, 2020
Hi!

I'm really wondering why the Proxmox Installation Wizard doesn't offer an option for ZFS without any RAID(Z) setup.
Some benefits of ZFS rely heavily on RAID(Z), but many don't: Copy-on-write, integrity checksums, snapshot features, deduplication, native block-level encryption, etc.

Personally I'd like to do full-disk-encryption without RAID(Z) but I'm not sure how. Do I need to install Debian with ZFS and manually setup PVE on top of it?
Any ideas are well appreciated! Cheers!

You can install Proxmox with ZFS on a single drive without RAID but with all the features of ZFS (although it might be called RAID0, since there is no redundancy).
I don't know how to do encryption with the root ZFS pool but there are threads about that on this forum.

Reactions: Bugbear
I would have never thought of this :O Thank you so much @leesteken!
Yeah ... of course it should be possible to do technically "RAID0" striping accross only one drive ... Genius ...
Cheers!

Full-disk encryption with ZFS works fine with single hosts but keep in mind that neither migrating between nodes of a cluster will work not cross-cluster migration. And PVE isn't supporting any encryption, so you have to add that later yourself.

@Dunuin Ok, noted! However currently I have not (yet ..?.) got around to using clustering.

PS: Applying ZFS encryption manually on top of PVE doesn't seem that hard, e.g. this guide.

I would have never thought of this :O Thank you so much @leesteken!
Yeah ... of course it should be possible to do technically "RAID0" striping accross only one drive ... Genius ...
Cheers!
Let me chime in. I did install raid-1 on a single NVME drive, and later on added another drive into the raid-set. Worked as a charm using some advise from another forum member (https://forum.proxmox.com/members/dunuin.96080/)

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-to-add-new-disk-to-zfs-pool.99902/#post-585995

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!