ZFS snapshot problem

Jan 18, 2021
hi all

i have a problem with proxmox 7.3

the ZFS snapshots seem to have a problem as they can't be accessed, it's like it says the snapshot has been taken but not really, in proxmox 7.2 this works correctly.
any ideas please?

thanks

Attachments

• px73.png
    px73.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 29
I don't see anything wrong in the picture. What is it that you want to see here?
hi LnxBil

when you take a snapshot, you can navigate inside it.
specifically in the root of the pool, in this case in /.zfs/snapshot/backup/

As can be seen in the image, it takes the snapshot but it is empty.
this completely undermines the functioning of the snapshot.

thanks

Last edited:
I think the .zfs folder has some sort of bug when mounted to root. Mine behaves this way too.

I promise you that your snapshot refers to 563GB of data just like the screenshot says. I can prove it to you. Do this:

Code:
zfs create rpool/testing
zfs send rpool/ROOT/pve-1@backup | zfs receive rpool/testing/pve-1
ls /rpool/testing/pve-1
zfs destroy rpool/testing -r

I did a similar action on mine:

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 2.23.18 PM.png

Edit: Found the relevant bug on GitHub: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/9461

Last edited:
hi

I have solved it by downgrading the packages involved

code_language.shell:
apt-get install libzpool5linux=2.1.5-pve1
apt-get install zfs-zed=2.1.5-pve1
apt-get install libzfs4linux=2.1.5-pve1
apt-get install zfsutils-linux=2.1.5-pve1
apt-get install zfs-initramfs=2.1.5-pve1

I have regenerated the boot, I don't know if it was strictly necessary, but I did it to make sure.
After reboot and it works fine.

thanks

i have a problem with proxmox 7.3

the ZFS snapshots seem to have a problem as they can't be accessed, it's like it says the snapshot has been taken but not really, in proxmox 7.2 this works correctly.
any ideas please?
* could you try to reinstall the latest zfs software (the issue - if it persists should not be in the userspace part of zfs - but in the kernel)
* then create a snapshot - see if it's visible
* in any case - reboot
* check if its visible after a reboot?

I'll try to reproduce the issue here

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!