ZFS pool not usable for VMs

Lightningblade

May 5, 2024
Hello Proxmox community,

I have a problem regarding the creation of a new ZPool.

I have 6 SSDs of varying size that I want to form into a RaidZ2.
The GUI is no good since you need the -f to "confirm" the wasted additional space. (I also tried with same size partitions, but proxmox only shows disks in the menu for creating zfs pools).

The name of the zpool is HBAZ2

So i changed to the CLI to create the zpool and tried tons of different parameters (no parameters, lots, some) and different combinations of disks, 3, 5, 6, or partitions. They all create fine and are shown in the zpool list:
1714934885628.png

However this pool is not available when cloning, or creating new VMs when chosing where to store it:
1714934995380.png

A strange thing is also, no matter wether I chose RaidZ1,2, or 3 - it shows the same capacity which is the capacity that I would think it should have as a JBOD. So I don't think it has the correct redundancy. The other two are mirrors of 2 500GB and two 1TB disks so they are fine. But this command shows me a more realistic number:
1714935607109.png

Disks:
The disks are connected through an HBA with 6 SATA ports, but I can write files manually to the pool i.e. via touch, and there are no errors, so i don't think its the problem.
1714935110099.png
1714935156383.png
(this is from my last attempt with equally sized partitions, but i tried the raw disks too)

This is the command i used (i tried removing all of the parameters, and only some (like only ashift=12))

zpool create -f -o ashift=12 -o autotrim=on -O compression=lz4 -O atime=off -O normalization=formD -O xattr=sa -O canmount=off -O Mountpoint=none hbaz2 raidz2 /dev/sde1 /dev/sdf1 /dev/sdg1 /dev/sdh1 /dev/sdi1 /dev/sdj1

What I tried:
The permission and mount point of the ZPool is like the working ones. (mounted on / as root:root 755)
I tried updating Proxmox to the newest. (as of this post)
Restarting the server (breaks the pool sometimes because the disks get new letters assigned (not every times) but that's not my main focus right now).
Exporting and importing the pool

Does anyone have any other ideas why this does not want to work, or what I could try to fix this?

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 1714935589092.png
    1714935589092.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi!
have you added the pool to the storage config?
when you create the zpool manually you need to add it as a storage to pve first. Head over to Datacenter->Storage->Add->ZFS!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!