ZFS and overcommitted resources

imrazor

Nov 3, 2015
I've successfully built a Debian 9 host with Proxmox and ZFS. My understanding is that with the availability of resource sharing (e.g., "balloon" memory) it is common to overcommit resources. In other words, on a machine with 64GB, with several VMs running the same OS, I might be able to get away with assigning 72GB of RAM to all those VMs without performance degradation. Likewise, I might be able to assign more vCPUs than I have threads assuming that not all VMs will be hitting 100% cpu usage at the same time.

But ZFS is very sensitive to memory usage, and possibly CPU availability. Is it a good idea to make sure at least one or two threads, and a few gigs of RAM is available for ZFS? In other words, is overcommiting RAM or CPU resources a bad idea if you're running ZFS on the same host?

You can not over commit the RAM allocated to zfs. zfs has a min memory and max memory allocation. So the OS can not use at least minimum RAM allocated from zfs.
So your any VM/process can not use the minimum RAM allready alocated for zfs.

Also you must think that the OS himself need some RAM and cpu. I can guess that 1 GB can be a minimum for OS only.

As a conclusion, if you run under OS minimum + zfs minimum, then yes, your VM/CT will can run, but with a very bad performance. If this will happen for 2-5 seconds period, it could be ok (swap could help in this short period if the swapped memory is not so high). Also a shorter zfs flush period could help (2-3 seconds insted of 5 by default)

But on medium term a lower RAM for zfs will make a less performance for zfs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!