with multiple PCI devices the .conf file gets "rewritten" and the VM no longer boots

While struggeling with PCI passthrouhg (it does work, eventually) i found something peculiar.

Sometimes the VM would not boot because the PCI.id for a device was alread in use. This was because the pci-id for the vga and the audio were written as the same. So instead of 0000:17:0.0 and 0000:17:0.1 the now both were written as 0000:17:0

I consider this to be a possible bug

This problem condition is only visible when bootig from the console with qm start <vmidhere> Because of it i spent a lot of time chasing ghosts. Lesson learned, stick to my own principles, use a shell.

Could you post your VM config ('qm config <vmid>') and the exact output of 'qm start', as well as a 'pveversion -v'?

this happens for any VM i attempt passthrough with for both GPU and Audio (same ID.x)
latest VE 6.2 fully updated
qm start simply states the device was allready assigned/associated, which is how i found out about this happening in the first place

I understand, but can you please still post your VM config, so I can try to reproduce your issue? 'qm showcmd <vmid>' would also be helpful.

this is no longer an issue now, i have absolutely no idea why not anymore. If it resurfaces i will update the thread.

to know, i have not customized vmid.conf in any way, simply using the web interface. The only manual configurations i made were the corrections required after observing the 'already in use' message using qm start <vmid>

i will try to simulate this and post the <vmid>.conf

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!