Windows VM with Oracle DB and backups

jf21

Oct 26, 2018
Hello,

i am wondering if anyone here is running a windows VM with oracle DB. My question is whether the snapshots that can be done with proxmox/qemu-agent are working when using oracle db. I see that qema-agent supports guest-fsfreeze on windows which should work with oracle and not cause inconsistency.
Is anyone running a setup like this with working backups that can offer some insight?

Hi,

qemu-guest-agent use the vss infrastructure, so if Oracle uses this it will work.

qemu-guest-agent use the vss infrastructure, so if Oracle uses this it will work.

Yes, it does:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/win.111/b32010/vss.htm#BABJEGCA

Is anyone running a setup like this with working backups that can offer some insight?

Depends on what kind of backup do you want. Oracle provides data consistency with different goals in mind. A simple VM backup will not use any of these techniques and is only a worst case data recovery option in case of a VM failure. I'd never encountered that in my life - hardware yes, but not a VM.
Most of the time, you'll need other mechanisms like Flashback Query or Flashback Database for simple "mistakes" or a real backup with point-in-time-recovery. I'd recommend to use RMAN and storing the files outside of your VM for data recovery purposes. If you are in a country covered by EU-GDPR, you need to have a real backup with RMAN to fulfill the requirements, a snapshot or backup once a day is not enough.

For both VMs and CTs, I rely on ZFS and I am using a combination of znapzend (https://github.com/oetiker/znapzend) and PVE Replication.

PVE replication is for fast migration / recovery to a second PVE server in the same rack in case of a hardware failure, plus to a third PVE server in another building to prevent data loss in case of fire.

znapzend is used for automatic snapshots (hourly in most cases) and for replication to an off-site (colocation) server. I'm doing hourly snapshots for fast recovery of simple "mistakes". Snapshots are kept hourly for 24 hours, then one per day for 7 days, one per week for 4 weeks and one per month for 12 months. The snapshots are also replicated by PVE.

I guess that you could also use pve-zsync instead of znapzend for off-site replication and snapshots. I just haven't yet found an easy tool to configure to configure it to keep snapshots the way znapzend keeps and syncs them...

The off-site server and the one in the other building are both HP Micro Servers Gen8 (unfortunately, no longer available) with 4x2TB disks running PVE; they are not power-hungry and inexpensive, but fully remote-manageable using HP's ILO. The Gen10 microservers are also inexpensive and low-energy, but no longer ILO manageable :-(

If your are interested in using a third party solution to backup your Proxmox VMs to a variety of different backup destinations, you should check out vProtect, by Catalogic Software I believe. Takes a ton of the manual work out of protecting your VMs. They support a bunch of different hypervisors. We use them for KVM and XenServer backups and it works great. Pretty inexpensive too!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!