Windows VM really Bad Memory Performance!

It doesn't remove anything, you can uninstall it with apt remove --purge pve-edge*
And revert the apparmor config file in etc.

Zfs works the same way, it's the same version as in official 5.4 kernel, not a newer or older version, so no changes there.

Just install dpkg -i pve-edge...., update-initramfs -k all -u, update-grub, edit the apparmor config, done.

There shouldn't be any drawback, what i expect, not much tbh, it's meant as try on your performance case, if it gets faster etc...
There are to much code change between 5.4 and 5.11, so it's very possible that your bug is fixed if it's kernel and not qemu related.

Cheers
Is this expected output ?
root@pve:~/temp/5.11.5_westmere# update-initramfs -u -k all update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.11.5-1 Running hook script 'zz-pve-efiboot'.. Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-pve-efiboot' in new private mount namespace.. No /etc/kernel/cmdline found - falling back to /proc/cmdline WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-5157 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-DF24 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.103-1-pve Running hook script 'zz-pve-efiboot'.. Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-pve-efiboot' in new private mount namespace.. No /etc/kernel/cmdline found - falling back to /proc/cmdline WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-5157 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-DF24 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.101-1-pve Running hook script 'zz-pve-efiboot'.. Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-pve-efiboot' in new private mount namespace.. No /etc/kernel/cmdline found - falling back to /proc/cmdline WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-5157 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-DF24 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.78-2-pve Running hook script 'zz-pve-efiboot'.. Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-pve-efiboot' in new private mount namespace.. No /etc/kernel/cmdline found - falling back to /proc/cmdline WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-5157 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-DF24 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.34-1-pve Running hook script 'zz-pve-efiboot'.. Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-pve-efiboot' in new private mount namespace.. No /etc/kernel/cmdline found - falling back to /proc/cmdline WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-5157 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping WARN: /dev/disk/by-uuid/1710-DF24 does not exist - clean '/etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids'! - skipping

That output has nothing todo with the kernel. Seems okay for me.

You never did before an initram update? xD

By the way, forgot to mention, from my downloads, you need only to install the kernel, you don't need pve headers or glibc etc...
Those are just included for the completeness if someone needs to compile his own drivers etc...

By the way, forgot to mention, from my downloads, you need only to install the kernel, you don't need pve headers or glibc etc...
Those are just included for the completeness if someone needs to compile his own drivers etc...
Yeah, too late lol.
Already installed all of that.
And I already did some initramfs Updates, but yeah, was nervous xD

You can remove pve-edge-headers with apt simply, but it doesn't hurts, just space wasting xD
And glbc needs to be replaced with the original, that's easy either. But i need to check first on my own system what glibc exactly replaces, to give a an "revert" command.
However, nothing of that has any downside. Just if you want to revert, you need to remove all of that or replace glibc again xD

But aside from that, do you see any benefits? Anything faster/slower?

You can remove pve-edge-headers with apt simply, but it doesn't hurts, just space wasting xD
And glbc needs to be replaced with the original, that's easy either. But i need to check first on my own system what glibc exactly replaces, to give a an "revert" command.
However, nothing of that has any downside. Just if you want to revert, you need to remove all of that or replace glibc again xD

But aside from that, do you see any benefits? Anything faster/slower?
I see. Then lets find out how to replace glibc lol.
I didnt see any Downsides till now, but neither did i see any Upsides. Windows VM is still slow as heck, Gaming is still impossible. Nice try tho :)

To remove everything is pretty simple either...

1. Reboot into the old 5.4 kernel (you can select it in grub) or recovery works too, doesn't matter...

1. apt remove --purge pve-edge*
(Will remove kernel + headers)
apt install linux-libc-dev
(Installing of linux-libc-dev automatically removes the pve-kernel-libc-dev 5.11.5 package)

2. Revert the apparmor changes.

3. update-grub && update-initramfs -k all -u

4. Reboot xD

So you can do it anytime, I don't think 5.11 has any downsides, but you know how to revert now xD

And im out, I don't have any ideas anymore what you can do to improve the performance, so yeah, good luck xD

Reactions: Anti-Ctrl
To remove everything is pretty simple either...

1. Reboot into the old 5.4 kernel (you can select it in grub) or recovery works too, doesn't matter...

1. apt remove --purge pve-edge*
(Will remove kernel + headers)
apt install linux-libc-dev
(Installing of linux-libc-dev automatically removes the pve-kernel-libc-dev 5.11.5 package)

2. Revert the apparmor changes.

3. update-grub && update-initramfs -k all -u

4. Reboot xD

So you can do it anytime, I don't think 5.11 has any downsides, but you know how to revert now xD

And im out, I don't have any ideas anymore what you can do to improve the performance, so yeah, good luck xD
Thanks for that Info and thanks alot for the help :)

Reactions: Ramalama

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!