Windows 10 low performance

mamatov

Jan 16, 2015
I have a Windows 10 VM on my proxmox. The performance are bad (High CPU and disk usage)

See below my configuration :

Proxmox Host :

CPU : E5-2440 v2 1.9 Ghz
RAM : 32 Go
Disk : Dell MD3800i (10 Gb)

PVE : 4.4.-2

Windows 10 VM

OS : Windows 10 entreprise (On proxmox GUI I selected MS Windows 10/2016)
CPU : 6 vCPU Host (I also tried KVM64, Qemu64)
RAM : 4 Go (I tried disable ballooning)
Disk : virtio (Cache Write Back)

Latest virtio driver installed (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers) :

- ethernet (Netkvm)
- virtual memory balloon (Balloon)
- hard disk (viostor)

I followed all the recommendations but the performances are bad :

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Performance_Tweaks

For example when I launch a browser (firefox), the cpu rises very quickly to 70%. If I run an antimalware the CPU stays at 100%

An idea of my problem?

Thank you in advance.

Please post your vmconfiguration "qm config <vmid>"
And how much HDDs to you have build in for VMs? What Raid, what storagetype and format?

Please, see below the vmconfiguration :

root@proxmox03:~# qm config 125
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 6
cpu: host
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: anne-srv
net0: virtio=2A:30:62:87:A8:96,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
smbios1: uuid=80e74279-6e80-4949-9445-f271f1a06f0a
sockets: 1
virtio0: vm-datastore:vm-125-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=100G
root@proxmox03:~#

The disk of the VM is stored on a Dell MD3800i :

- Iscsi 10 Gb
- 12 disk SAS 15 K
- RAID 10
- One disk is attached to the VM (raw format) on a LVM storage

Have you tested with cache=default? Your setup looks great, strange. We use always the iscsi-bus for hdds. Have you tested an other windows, like windows7 or win 2012r2 Server?

Yes I tried with cache=default but nothing change.

I have two windows 2012 r2 servers and the performance are ok. No CPU problem.

To be sure, I installed a new Windows 10 VM with iscsi-bus. But same problem performance issue.

Strange, must say we never tested such things with iscsi-conection, because there can be many special problems... can you test the same VM with an NFS-share from your storage? It would be very interessting. Running here an Win2016server on Proxmox ZFSstorgage with NFSshare. No Problem and really fast with also 10Gbit.

I already tried the same Vm with an other proxmox with local storage.
I observed the same behavior.

I installed a windows 2012 and windows 2016 with no performance issue.
It seems that the problem is only on the windows 10.

Not really, have here my own Windows10 with spice for desktopapplication running. Localstorage, perfect performance. HP ML350G6 with 6SAS10K Raid10.
Spice in Win10? As far as I know Win10 is not supported by Spice so far, and when I tried performance and responsiveness were terrible. How did you make it work?

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm facing the same issue. Idle CPU looks normal, but whenever I launch any application it immediately goes to 70+% CPU. With SQL Server it stays on 100% until I close it. I've installed the new spice and it fixes some other issues, but not the CPU issue unfortunately.

Here is my VM config:

root@pve08:~# qm config 104
agent: 1
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 4
memory: 16384
name: vmsym-dev2
net0: virtio=2E:37:87:EA:79:86,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=538f003c-a2c3-476c-a863-9534297147dd
sockets: 1
virtio0: local-lvm-SSD:vm-104-disk-0,cache=writeback,size=160G
virtio1: local-lvm-SSD:vm-104-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=200G
vmgenid: 703cc58d-d5e9-4e99-aba1-4415009596b7

Should not be a problem anymore. Download spice from here. Don't forget to install the right driver from the virtio-iso. Also graphicdriver.
https://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-guest-tools/spice-guest-tools-latest.exe
Can you help me clarify something. SPICE is used for VNC type access. If I am not connecting to the system using VNC and am using Windows 10 RDP, would this SPICE installation still impact performance ?

I have installed the latest virtio-iso drivers, my disk is currently set to VirtIO-SCSI and I have tested IDE also and I have significant performance lags.

If you recommend the SPICE installation as a potential performance improvement regardless of how I connect to the system, I will certainly give it a try.

Update:

For me it appears to be an issue with RDP combined with my VPN tunnel. The CPU has a hard time sending the pixel differences over RDP in that case.

Using the Proxmox console the behaviour is as expected; small spike when launching an application and then back to normal.
Using RDP without the VPN (using public IP with translated port to lan) the behaviour is as expected as well.

Maybe this can help you solve your problem as well. Good luck :)

I have yet to find a solution for this terribly slow Windows 10 problem. Nothing indicates that it is a VNC or RDP issue. Launching an application regardless of screen sharing method, takes 10x longer. Nothing is happening on the screen, DISK IO is pegged at 100% and nothing happens for minutes before eventually the application splash screen comes up

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!