Windows 10 Licensing

aPollO

Renowned Member
Mar 6, 2014
Cottbus, Germany
Hi Guys,

i know it's not absolutly proxmox related. But i hope someone can help me nevertheless.

I have build a kind of VDI system with Proxmox VE and Linux Mint guests using the spice console. Now i need to have some Windows 10 guests in this system also. What kind of Windows license i need for doing this?
I read about VDA licensing and much other stuff i realy never heard about.

The scenario is:
Some people should connect from there Windows 10 Notebooks to the spice console of some windows 10 VMs to work with some applications provided on these virtual desktops.

Do i need a special license for the Notebooks with access to the virtual desktops or do i need some special license for the virtual dekstops itself?

I talk about 15 virtual desktops and around 10 Notebooks.

Anyone here who have some knowhow in doing this?

You will need the windows licenses (I'm not sure if a datacenter license would allow you to install win10) as well as User-CALs. If you don't know what you are doing license wise get someone who does. It will save you a lot of time and hassle if MS will ask.

Reactions: aPollO
The scenario is:
Some people should connect from there Windows 10 Notebooks to the spice console of some windows 10 VMs to work with some applications provided on these virtual desktops.

In the end, is this any cheaper or easier than just setting up a terminal services VM?

The EULA says clearly

"Use in a virtualized environment. This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each instance."

MS has a VDI license you can purchase. Be warned, MS licensing costs about about to jump 30%+ this October. Anything Enterprise is subscription now too.

The most affordable way to run Windows on a hypervisor (if you need more than a few installs to get Server 2016 Datacenter). You need to license PER CORE, 16 core minimum plus CALs. Its getting silly to run windows. Find Linux / OS alternatives if you need to save money.

Its getting silly to run windows. Find Linux / OS alternatives if you need to save money.
while I totally agree with this, it is very difficult to find alternatives for business use unless most of your customers and business associates do the same.
I am an IT professional and for years have been balancing user friendly vs usable apps and services.
I have been running Linux at home for the last 10+ years. but at work Windows is the king.

while I totally agree with this, it is very difficult to find alternatives for business use unless most of your customers and business associates do the same.
I am an IT professional and for years have been balancing user friendly vs usable apps and services.
I have been running Linux at home for the last 10+ years. but at work Windows is the king.

100% fact. Until there are more user friendly BUSINESS management tools like SCCM, GPOs etc which actually function, give management pretty graphs, etc Windows will remain a business leader. That being said a few of my clients (I run a tech company) are starting to see the light. The light is mostly caused by cost. It used to cost 1.5M USD in 2008 for a 5500 user / 140 server EA. That same company with similar numbers is paying over 6M USD today. MS knows that they have the market cornered. All we can do is push other options until enough people "grow up with linux" and want to make it their business tool of choice. That's why MS didn't fight piracy too hard in the early years. Bill knew full well that the more people using, the more people would need it in the business world where piracy is unacceptable.

Reactions: AlexLup
Do i need a special license for the Notebooks with access to the virtual desktops or do i need some special license for the virtual dekstops itself?
While Microsoft licensing terms are HORRIBLY confusing and ever changing, the basic rule is that on NON hyperv environments you need to provide a retail license per VM unless you have an enterprise agreement or contracting from a reseller who does.

What I might offer as an option is not to try to provide the full DE virtualized, especially since your clients already have windows on their end; what services do your clients require? couldnt they be served with a combination of a browser or Windows terminal services? Windows Server 2016 Essentials is relatively cheap and good for up to 50 connections...

I can not use Terminal Server for this.

We support our own software product. The server is running in customers environment and we need to connect over vpn or something to the server to give support.
In fact it is not possible to install all the vpn/remote desktop/whatever software on the notebooks of our supporters. So i installed virtual linux desktops with vpn software and the software required for remote support our customers. Each member of support team can connect to the virtual desktop which is also connected to the customers vpn.

Did you guys understand? So terminal server is not an option. I can not install or connect (simultaneously) to dozens of vpn's from one windows server.

Now it is needed to use windows clients cause not every single vpn software is working on a linux client. And not all of our tools / clients / software needed for support is runnung on linux also. So some of the clients needs to be windows.

But if i can buy just a "normal" OEM license thats OK for me cause i have only 11 clients who needs this. The most working fine with linux desktop.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!