Why is storage type rbd only for Disk-Image + Container

cmonty14

Mar 4, 2014
Hello!

Can you please share some information why storage type rbd is only availabel for Disk-Image and Container?
I would prefer to dump a backup to another rbd.

THX

These are the usable storage types for rbd, as it is a block storage. Backups with vzdump do not only have the image(s), the also contain the config file. If you want a separate image, then you can clone (rbd clone) these.

Hm... I don't fully understand your response, but maybe my question was not clear.
My use case is this:
Running PVE + Ceph Cluster I want to store backups in a RBD.
Creating a RBD with PVE only allows me to select storage content Disk-Image and Container.

As a workaround I created a RBD manually and defined storage type "directory" pointing to mounted rbd on filesystem.

Hm... I don't fully understand your response, but maybe my question was not clear.
My use case is this:
Running PVE + Ceph Cluster I want to store backups in a RBD.
Creating a RBD with PVE only allows me to select storage content Disk-Image and Container.

As a workaround I created a RBD manually and defined storage type "directory" pointing to mounted rbd on filesystem.

It normally doesnt serve any purpose to use the same disks for data and backup; its not a backup if taking our the primary takes it out too. That said, if you want to use ceph for you backup images use cephfs (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#storage_cephfs)

I never said that I want to use the same storage for backup, Disk-Image and Container.
This makes no sense at all.

But I want to create a storage of type rbd to be used for backup.
This would create another rbd in a specific pool that is only used for backups.

But I want to create a storage of type rbd to be used for backup.
You would need to mount it separately and add a file system on top. As previously mentioned better look into CephFS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!