Why does proxmox have 2 ip address?

Bala

Jun 21, 2023
This isn't really a problem (or at least I hope so), I just want to understand proxmox better, but I didn't know where to ask this, and I didn't find any answers on the forum.
I was just messing with the router settings when I noticed, that whenever I turn on my proxmox machine, I have 2 more connected devices, not just one. They have different ip addresses (one of them is what I use to get to the web interface), but they share the same MAC address.
What is the reasion behind this?

Do you have a guest running? Since the guest is connected via the physical interface of the Proxmox VE server via an "internal software switch" (Linux bridge to be more precise), the router only knows that the IP of the guest is present via the MAC of the physical NIC of the Proxmox VE host.

Do you have a guest running? Since the guest is connected via the physical interface of the Proxmox VE server via an "internal software switch" (Linux bridge to be more precise), the router only knows that the IP of the guest is present via the MAC of the physical NIC of the Proxmox VE host.
Sorry, I'm really new to this stuff. How can I see if I have a guest running?

Guests = terminology for any VMs or LXCs
...you should really know if there is a VM or LXC running or not.
If you are still not sure run:
pct list && qm list

Guests = terminology for any VMs or LXCs
...you should really know if there is a VM or LXC running or not.
If you are still not sure run:
pct list && qm list
Yes, I have 1 VM. (Sorry, this would have been probably easier if I just googled what a guest is)
I reread what you wrote last time about the Linux bridge. So if I get it right, that ip basically forwards the incomming data to my VM? So even if my VM has different ip and MAC address, I'm only able to see it's ip because it's connected trough that bridge, right?

Last edited:
Thinking about it again, I think I wrote something slightly wrong.

Your setup is most likely something like this: router -> (physical switch ->) Proxmox VE host -> VM.

Unless you did create a routed setup, the VM should have its own MAC address and be visible on the network. Therefore, I am not sure why your router tells you that both IPs (PVE host & VM) share the same MAC address.

The MAC address of the VM should be different than the one of the host.

Thinking about it again, I think I wrote something slightly wrong.

Your setup is most likely something like this: router -> (physical switch ->) Proxmox VE host -> VM.

Unless you did create a routed setup, the VM should have its own MAC address and be visible on the network. Therefore, I am not sure why your router tells you that both IPs (PVE host & VM) share the same MAC address.

The MAC address of the VM should be different than the one of the host.
Here is a screenshot if that helps
Sorry, I hope you understand that I blurred the MAC and IP addresses, I don't know how much can I share securely.
(The numbers there mean the internet speed)

Attachments

• ProxMox screenshot3.png
    ProxMox screenshot3.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Well it seems we hit a dead end here. Maybe I will just reinstall the whole thing, because this really doesn't look like normal behaviour for ProxMox.

Sorry, for not responsding anymore. What is the output of ip a? Does the second IP address show up?

Sorry, for not responsding anymore. What is the output of ip a? Does the second IP address show up?
This is all that shows up
The 192.168.0.26 is the static ip I gave when I installed proxmox
The one with the same MAC address is 192.168.0.11, and I can't see it there.
(The enp3s0 shares the MAC address with the vmbr0, I don't know if this might be it, but the enp3s0 doesn't show an ip address)

Edit: I didn't wanted to sound impatient, I think this forum is fantastic, because I always get answers to my questions. I just tought that maybe no one knows how to fix this problem, so I would be just better off reinstalling the whole thing and see what happens.

Attachments

• ProxMox screenshot4.png
    ProxMox screenshot4.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
the first ip .11 was the dhcp address during installing pve. after install, it's replaced by the static ip.
your monitoring display the old dhcp ip.

Reactions: aaron
the first ip .11 was the dhcp address during installing pve. after install, it's replaced by the static ip.
your monitoring display the old dhcp ip.
No matter how many times I try to refresh it, that ip stays there. And also the router says that the .11 ip is also a static ip, so this shouldn't be the old dhcp I think.

during install a dhcp ip is used to detect language. then it isn't used after reboot because the static one defined within installer replace it.

Last edited:
during install a dhcp ip is used to detect language. then it isn't used after reboot because the static one defined within installer replace it.
so it isn't used, but it's still supposed to be there? So for example you also have a second ip?

this is your router that display old data, there is one ip at a time for pve host itself.
Then each guests will have ô its own ip defined within VM or for CT in its network options.

this is your router that display old data, there is one ip at a time for pve host itself.
Then each guests will have ô its own ip defined within VM or for CT in its network options.
But shouldn't this disapear if I refresh the router?

I don't know, it's your router side, which is out scope of the forum.
but the basis to check if ip is really active, is a simple ping of the ip.

Last edited:
"It’s by forging that one becomes a blacksmith" ( A French proverb !)
My english isn't skilled but "refresh" doesn't mean "reset" !
if I had read "reset" then we answer "no, do not reset !"
a "reboot" could have been enough clear its ip list, but we don't know your router , and I had said previously , it's out the scope.
I repeat : the basis to check if ip is really active, is a simple ping of that ip , for network beginner there is app on smartphone's store to do a "ip scan of your network" (of course if wireless and wired networks are on same subnet)

Last edited:
"It’s by forging that one becomes a blacksmith" ( A French proverb !)
My english isn't skilled but "refresh" doesn't mean "reset" !
if I had read "reset" then we answer "no, do not reset !"
a "reboot" could have been enough clear its ip list, but we don't know your router , and I had said previously , it's out the scope.
I repeat : the basis to check if ip is really active, is a simple ping of that ip , for network beginner there is app on smartphone's store to do a "ip scan of your network" (of course if wireless and wired networks are on same subnet)
Sorry, when I posted the quesion, I tougth this was a proxmox problem, but if not, then it's really out of scope.
Still, thanks for the answers!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!