Whilst move storage from local-lvm to TrueNAS ZFS over iSCSI: Warning: volblocksize (4096) is less than the default minimum block size (8192).

eugenevdm

Dec 13, 2020
Hi! When I move a VM's storage from `local-lvm` to a TrueNAS Core based ZFS volume over iSCSI, I get the following warning:

Code:
Task viewer: VM 102 - Move disk

create full clone of drive scsi0 (local-lvm:vm-102-disk-0)
Warning: volblocksize (4096) is less than the default minimum block size (8192).
To reduce wasted space a volblocksize of 8192 is recommended.

In order to get ZFS over iSCSI working, I used the plugin https://github.com/TheGrandWazoo/freenas-proxmox

I have no idea how to approach this issue. As far as I know I have chosen every single default possible.

Please could someone give me some tips on what the next steps of the troubleshooting process is?

Hi,
on the host with ZFS, what does zfs get volblocksize <name of ZFS> say? Please also share your storage configuration /etc/pve/storage.cfg.

ZFS host block size configuration for disk I'm moving:

Bash:
zfs get volblocksize pool/vm-102-disk-0
NAME                PROPERTY      VALUE     SOURCE
pool/vm-102-disk-0  volblocksize  4K        -

PVE Storage configuration:

Bash:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content vztmpl,backup,iso

lvmthin: local-lvm
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images

lvm: new-lvm-volume
    vgname pve
    content images,rootdir
    shared 0

lvmthin: new-lvm-thin-volume
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content rootdir,images

zfs: iscsi3
    blocksize 4k
    iscsiprovider freenas
    pool pool
    portal 192.168.1.25
    target iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:target
    content images
    freenas_apiv4_host 192.168.1.25
    freenas_password secret
    freenas_use_ssl 0
    freenas_user root
    nowritecache 0
    sparse 1

Code:
zfs: iscsi3
    blocksize 4k
The setting is here. Because of this, new volumes allocated on the storage will get this volblocksize.

After battling to understand this problem and all the terminology in my near perfect Proxmox VE environment, I have finally made substantial progress in solving the issue for (my environment).

Environment:

- Proxmox VE
- ZFS over iSCSI to TrueNAS Scale

When you set up ZFS over iSCSI with Proxmox VE the default volblocksize is 4k.

When I started using TrueNAS Core, which most likely relies on OpenZFS, the default volblocksize was 8k.

Somewhere along the line TrueNAS core updated, and therefor as per https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/12406 the ZFS default now became 16k.

So that's why out of the blue when I got new messages, namely:

Bash:
Warning: volblocksize (8192) is less than the default minimum block size (16384).
To reduce wasted space a volblocksize of 16384 is recommended.

I was really confused. After much reading, and discovering a scary script but with nice explanations that can retrospectively change this value, I had another thought:

What if I just create a new ZFS over iSCSI to the exact same server but using 16k instead? And then what if I then just transfer move the data from NASX to NASX-16k?

So far, so good. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!