where best is, PBS on VM or Bare-metal Server ?

Morning

I got it running as VM but the datastore is an NFS connection to the physical PVE whereon the raid drive is located...
works like a charm and give you some extra features against raw passthrough like storing/accessing files from the host itself

Have a greate one

Well, it completely depends on your requirements and expectations and stress resistance.

The usual recommendation is of course to use a separate and independent hardware machine with. For best results "SSD only" is recommended, see https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#recommended-server-system-requirements

Basically you want the backuped data to be available if your main system is fubar. That is the whole point, I believe ;-)

If you go the PBS-in-VM-on-PVE road desaster recovery is just much more complicated. You first need to recreate the VM Host and the PBS VM itself before you can start restoring anything. If you are ok with this hurdle a VM and NFS-Storage will work.

Actually I do a similar thing: one of my PBS is a VM on a Synology Diskstation - using the storage of that same box via NFS. I can not recommend this construction because of performance implications - but it works well for me and the hardware is completely independent of my PVE systems.

Best regards

Jup, also got PBS in a VM with datastore stored via NFS on a ZFS raidz1 of 4 HDDs. But it isn't fast. A verify task needs 6 hours per 1TB of datastore storage where PBS shows a IO delay of over 40% and the ZFS pool isn't really usable for something else as long as the verify task is running. And then you got prune and GC tasks that might run for hours too. So for a small home setup thats fine but I wouldn't use it on a bigger scale.

Last edited:
The PBS is having low requirement and can be matched with the VM, but its totally depends on the actual load for which you are going to configure PBS system and it should be best deal to with go with bare metal server. You may consider for cheap but reliable providers for such requirements, like OVH, virmarch, Redswitches, Digitalocean. You can get affordable bare metal servers with them.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!