vzdzump script / enable cifs storage

moemoe

Mar 18, 2022
Hey,

as Proxmox checks the CIFS state every 30s and therefore prevents suspending disks in my NAS, I wanted to enable the CIFS storage only when needed.

I took the script from https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-manager.git;a=blob;f=vzdump-hook-script.pl;hb=HEAD, and added a disable for the storage:

Perl:
# ...
if ($phase eq 'job-init' ||
    $phase eq 'job-start' ||
    $phase eq 'job-end'  ||
    $phase eq 'job-abort') {
#...
    # wake up remote storage node and enable storage
    if ($phase eq 'job-init') {
        system ("/sbin/pvesm set $storeid --disable 0") == 0 ||
            die "enabling storage $storeid failed";
    }

# disable storage afterwards
    if ($phase eq 'job-end' || $phase eq 'job-abort') {
        system ("/sbin/pvesm set $storeid --disable 1")
    }
#...

Enabled the script (at least I thought I did)

Code:
root@localfluff:/usr/local/bin# cat /etc/vzdump.conf
# vzdump default settings

#tmpdir: DIR
#dumpdir: DIR
#storage: STORAGE_ID
#mode: snapshot|suspend|stop
#bwlimit: KBPS
#ionice: PRI
#lockwait: MINUTES
#stopwait: MINUTES
#stdexcludes: BOOLEAN
#mailto: ADDRESSLIST
#prune-backups: keep-INTERVAL=N[,...]
#script: FILENAME
#exclude-path: PATHLIST
#pigz: N
script: /usr/local/bin/vzdump-hook-script.pl
root@localfluff:/usr/local/bin# ls -l /usr/local/bin/vzdump-hook-script.pl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2510 Mar 18 10:03 /usr/local/bin/vzdump-hook-script.pl

And started the backup job in the web interface in "Datacenter -> Backup -> Select Job -> Run Now".

It seems the scipt isn't executed at all:

Code:
Mar 18 09:51:52 localfluff pvedaemon[3489602]: <root@pam> starting task UPID:localfluff:0038E743:0ED97C3D:62345638:vzdump:201:root@pam:
Mar 18 09:51:52 localfluff pvedaemon[3729219]: could not activate storage 'nocloud': storage 'nocloud' is disabled
Mar 18 09:51:52 localfluff pvedaemon[3489602]: <root@pam> end task UPID:localfluff:0038E743:0ED97C3D:62345638:vzdump:201:root@pam: could not activate storage 'nocloud': storage 'nocloud' is disabled

To check, I started the backup job with the storage activated, and the storage gets disabled after the backup, so this works fine.

Any hints what I did oversee? Of course the storage is not available when starting the backup, as the hook needs to be run. As there is a section about enabling storage in the example script, I think this should work...

Thanks
Moritz

Last edited:
the job-init hook point is not part of any released version of pve-manager yet..

Reactions: moemoe
yes :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!