Zarautz
Hi,
We have a server with proxmox witch have this storage setup:
  • /dev/sda 930.Gb (SSD)
  • /dev/sdb 1.82 Tb (raid)
On the storage part of proxmox we can see:
  • local => VZDump backup file, ISO image, Container template => 94.37 GiB
  • local-lvm => Disk image, Container => 810.25 GiB
So I asume that this local and local-lvm are being stored in /dev/sda.

What we want is to use SSD for machines and the raid (sdb) for backup destination.

- How can I check if the sdb is being used?
- if is not used, I have to partition it and add it to proxmox, right?
- It's good idea to create new VM with freenas and passthrought sdb to mount a shared storage?

thanks in adavance

- How can I check if the sdb is being used?
depends on how it is used, but normally with tools like lsblk, mount, or commands like 'cat /proc/mounts'

- if is not used, I have to partition it and add it to proxmox, right?
yes if you want it for backup storage, there has to be a filesystem on it

- It's good idea to create new VM with freenas and passthrought sdb to mount a shared storage?
i do not know if it is a good idea to just pass through a single device to freenas, but in principle it should work.
what to you want to achieve here? you can do a nfs export also on the pve host for example, or use a virtual disk for freenas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!