[SOLVED] vTPM for Proxmox

We are working on TPM already and I assume we are ready to release something quite soon.
I know secure boot being available natively to ovmf that is packaged with proxmox is being looked into however will we have to recreate the VM's to enable these features or is this something we can add to existing VM's?

While easyily installing and running W11 on ArchLinux/LibVirt I've just tried that on my PVE 7.0-13 (no-subscription) (PowerEdge R620, Xeon E5-2650) and I was astonished that this has worked at first attempt. I did no tweaks nor patches, just using the original MS ISO file, VirtIO ISO and the attached settings. Voila and cheerio!

Attachments

• 2021-10-14_11-17.png
    2021-10-14_11-17.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 144
These days, we've started evaluating of Win11.
Before, we did the upgrade to PVE7.0.13 and it works like a charme.
Creating a new VM as Q35-06 with UEFI instead Seabios, adding UEFI-Storage and a vTMP (you can choose your flavour) is very straight forward and easy.
Windows-Setup was just as usual and hardware-manager shows the TPM as security device.
We did backup and restore test, all good, cloning wasn't a show-stopper, too.

Until now, thumps up,

Reactions: garjones
Remove existing EFI disk and create a new one, with pre-enroll keys.
You will have to recreate the boot in vBIOS.

Last edited:
Hi, is it possible to add vTPM to an existing VM?
Yes, you can add it.
But your maschin-type has to be Q35-6, it needs OMV + UEFI-Storage with preenrolled Keys.
So it may get difficult to implement all requirements for WIN11.

Thanks! I added a vTPM disk and all seems good. I had machine type Q35, UEFI and an EFI disk already configured.

Windows 11 health check gave me all green ticks.

I had set up my EFI disk with pre-enroll keys initially and it seems I didn’t have to remove and add it back.

All good on a single-node installation.

I had to switch to the non-sub repo to get 7.0-13. Installing vTPM on existing VMs worked for me, with no other modifications. My VMs are set up as pc-q35-6.0/OVMF with EFI.

Super easy.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!