Volume Sizing and Usage question

davosian

Feb 4, 2021
Dear Forum Members,

how should I partition the main disks of my proxmox nodes?

I am in the process of setting up a small 3 node Proxmox Cluster (3x Intel NUC with 8GB RAM and 240 GB SSD each, one of them with an additional 512GB SSD). I want to use the cluster for running (home lab) Kubernetes workloads (3 node cluster with one node running on each of my proxmox servers) next to a few smaller linux VMs used for monitoring and testing. Besides the 3 NUCs, I also have a NAS for storage and a Backblaze account for backups / storage.

Before going any further, I am wondering how to best use the disks inside my NUCs: is there an advantage of using just 100GB out of the available 240GB for proxmox (with 10GB for the root partition)? If so, how do I best use the unallocated space? For Kubernetes persistant storage, I am planning on using Longhorn and/or my NAS.

Related to the above question, can I extend the data partion with the unallocated space at a later point in time (ext4 file system)?

Last edited:
I'd just use the defaults of the Proxmox VE ISO installer.

Reactions: davosian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!