VM template central repo?

Lucian

Nov 7, 2017
Hello,

I'd like to maintain a set of KVM templates internally to our company and register these templates (either raw or qcow2 files) on any new Proxmox hosts.

My question is, how can I register these VM templates in newly deployed hosts so I can spawn VMs from them?

I see there's an upload function, but only for container images and ISO files.

@msalwe Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. Can you perhaps explain that in more detail?
Thanks!
You need a shared storage, e.g. an external NFS server. Mount the share, put your templates (or better KVM-machines, I don't like templates, because they are immutable) on and you'r golden.

It sounds like OP is not running a cluster but rather isolated PVE hosts. Having common NFS storage will only work partially and will require more steps.

In the case of non-cluster environments the best that can be done is a centralized storage where only QCOWs (or other supported formats) are stored. The owner of the specific PVE host will need to create a VM through whatever means they normally do and then _import_ the "remote" qcow to their local storage. This cannot be done via GUI at this time.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

It sounds like OP is not running a cluster but rather isolated PVE hosts. Having common NFS storage will only work partially and will require more steps.
Oh yes, in a non-clustern environment, this does not work with "real" templates or "real" VMs (data+config).

In that case, I can recommend to store templates as backups/vzdumps, so that you can restore the VM and those backups can be on NFS. This is the same mechanism that is used for LX(C) container templates.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!