VM Shutdown on PVE Host Reboot

Aug 12, 2019
Good Day Everyone

We have a standalone PVE host which, from time to time, and as expected, needs updates installed and a reboot if there are kernel updates.

We have set the HA Settings under datacenter -> Options -> HA Settings to shutdown_policy=freeze.

What I understand under this policy is, when we reboot the PVE Host, it will freeze/pause all running VMs, host will reboot and then unfreeze/resume all VMs when done rebooting, however, a reboot command issued on host, executes shutdown commands to all VMs.

This is not the expected behavior that I understand from the shutdown_policy.

If I am misunderstanding this, please can someone explain to me this setting and how to rather pause/freeze VMs when rebooting the PVE host?

Your help will be appreciated

Regards

Hi Tom

No, I do not want to configure HA as we only have 1 Proxmox host

What I would like to happen - as with Windows Hyper-V Server - is when you reboot the Host, the VMs suspend/pause and once host has restarted, VMs resume/unpause

is when you reboot the Host, the VMs suspend/pause and once host has restarted, VMs resume/unpause
that is not (yet) implemented, the ha shutdown policy is for something else (how the services gets treated when powering off/rebooting iow. if they should get moved to another node or not)

what you can do is scripting it yourself, basically:

Code:
for i in VMLIST; do qm suspend $i --todisk  1; done
poweroff/reboot

all vms that are set to 'start on boot' should resume when the host comes back up

I have something similar - we have a 4-node Proxmox/Ceph cluster, and are not using HA currently.

I need to reboot nodes for things like kernel updates.

Each of the 4 nodes will have some running VMs, and some stopped VMs.

How do I pause all running VMs, then have those ones automatically resume when the node has finished rebooting?

(None of them have Start to boot set - as people are using them for ad-hoc testing etc - I just need to reboot the node, and have the list of running VMs be the same afterwards).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!