VM removal causing chaos

Soulune

Nov 13, 2018
Good day everyone,

I recently hired in as an IT Manager for a mid-size company and do not have much experience with Proxmox.
When I was cleaning up our infrastructure, I came across our old backup VM and went to remove it as we now use a stand-alone appliance for in-house backups.
As a test, I first shut down the VM to see if it would affect anything else... It caused the other two nodes and VMs within them to completely go offline (with large red X's of doom).

To summarize what we have:
-3 physical server boxes running separate instances of Proxmox 4.4 (Let's call them A, B, C).
-All 3 are listed as separate nodes, but I don't think they are "linked" under one Datacenter (I don't see all nodes/VMs unless I go to each individual box to view them all in separate windows).

What I've tried:
From what I can tell, the VM I'm trying to delete on Server-C is saved on a scsi that stores the HDD/ISO of a VM on Server-B (specifically for our FTP server, which we can always rebuild as it's for temporary transfer).
So I tried Moving that storage to another location...

(1. see attachments, I just created this account and can't link a photo)

...And got this error. Which is odd because...

(2. see attachments, I just created this account and can't link a photo)

It's currently running and accessible (DLGVMBKS is what I want to remove).

So I'm completely at a loss.
If I shut 300 off all the VMs in the other two boxes, A and B, will completely go offline.
If I try to move the storage, I get an error.

Is there anything I can do in the shells of these servers to determine their relationship?

Send help, please.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 6
ok, so from what you write it looks like that the vm 300 hosts the storage for the other nodes
(the red cross is probably a red herring, since the daemon that checks the storage in that version causes that exact behavior when an nfs server hangs for example)

regarding the storage does not exist error, could you send the content of /etc/pve/storage.cfg (ideally from all nodes), anonymized of course

... regarding the storage does not exist error, could you send the content of /etc/pve/storage.cfg (ideally from all nodes), anonymized of course

It really don't look like there's much here.
Attached is the full output using the more command.

Attachments

• stoagecfgC.PNG
    stoagecfgC.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 3
  • storagecfgB.PNG
    storagecfgB.PNG
    19.9 KB · Views: 3
  • StoragecfgA.PNG
    StoragecfgA.PNG
    20.3 KB · Views: 3
ok without the information what that storage was/is there is not much i can say
i would try to found out how the storage DLGVMBKS was configured and recreate it via datacenter->storage

then you should be able to move it to another storage and be able to shut down that node

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!