[SOLVED] VM disk overwritten after migrating to new install

jm_

Sep 30, 2021
Hello,
I just migrated my proxmox server to a new motherboard+CPU combo. I carried over the HBA and most of the HDDs from my old proxmox install. I had a Samba server LXC which had a couple of disks attached (stored on 3x4TB drives in RAIDZ1), totalling about 5TB of data. Since the data was not critical (and there was 5TB of it), I chose not to make backups of those two disks (only the "system drive" of the LXC was backed up). I kept all the data on the drives in hopes that I would just restore the LXC's system drive and mount the directories for the hosted data and could continue without a hassle.

After reinstalling proxmox on the new hardware and importing the ZFS pool, I
- added a ZFS directory ("storage") in the GUI just as it was on the previous install
- imported the LXC via CLI (pct restore 100 vzdump-lxc-100-2021_09_26-02_00_04.tar.lzo --storage storage)

This resulted in all of the hosted data being overwritten. The LXC boots and works normally, but all of the hosted data in the shared folders is gone. The restoring itself only took maybe a minute, so no data should actually be lost, but I'm fairly clueless when it comes to ZFS. Is there any way to recover my data?

this thread can be deleted, I realized what went wrong and will make a new thread with more details.

Reactions: talistech

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!