VM + data to big for new SSD

PeterZ

Jul 18, 2019
Hi all

I'm new to Proxmox since a few months for a home server.

I started with a single HDD to get familiar with the system but now I would like to reinstall the system and reuse my VM's and containers already installed.
In particular, there is 1 windows VM + data which I would like to keep, the other machines are not that big of problem to reinstall.
The problem is that this VM uses almost 300Gb (1 partition) and I have a SSD, that I re purpose, which is only 120Gb.

I guess backing up this VM would not be an option.
All ideas are welcome to tackle this!

TIA
P.

I guess backing up this VM would not be an option.

Why not? Back it up to an external usb disk. "Backup & Restore" is the best and easiest option for most of the people. I'd only go the other route if you really know what you're doing and don't care how long it takes.

Reactions: PeterZ
Hi LnxBil, thanks for your reply!

Should have been more clear: the idea is to put the VM, without the data, on the SSD.
I managed to create a backup on another sata HDD but guess I cannot use that.

Other suggestions?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!