VLANs with a single LAN interface

Hello__User

May 15, 2020
Hello,

I have an OPNsense VM running with a dedicated WAN interface (vmbr1) and the default Proxmox Linux bridge (vmbr0) for LAN. I'm trying to segregate my network like so:

WAN -> My public IP
VLAN 100 -> 10.10.100.0
LAN -> 10.10.1.0

I only have 2 NICs and I am trying to pass the VLAN using the same LAN bridge (vmbr0) all my containers and VM's are on

vmbr0 -> LAN -> 10.10.1.100
vmbr1 -> WAN -> Bridged -> No IP

OPNsense does have 3 virtual NICs configured:
NIC 1 -> LAN -> 10.10.1.1
NIC 2 -> WAN -> DHCP for public ip
NIC 3 -> VLAN 100 -> 10.10.100.1

vmbr0 is set as VLAN Aware in Proxmox. The issue I'm running into is that containers with VLAN tag 100 cannot make any connection to any network in OPNsense.

NIC 3 -> VLAN 100 -> 10.10.100.1
Create a separate bridge for your VM/CT and add the opensense interface to it. Then you can set either vlan tags on connected interfaces or run without it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!