VirtIO NIC checksum fail & poor speed

tl5k5

Jul 28, 2017
Hey all,
I have a 3 node cluster (6.0.4) each with dual 10Gb Intel NICs. On both Windows and CentOS 7.x VM's I have VirtIO 10Gb networking installed.
I have zero issues with Windows. On CentOS I find that any files that are moved to/from a network share fail checksum. There also seems to be poor performance compared to the Windows VM.
When I change the CentOS VM NIC to VMxnet3, the checksum files pass and the performance is much better.
There are almost no resources being used so that shouldn't be an issue.
Any ideas? The VMxnet3 is only going to run at 1Gb...correct?

Please disregard!

Last edited:
Please disregard!
Even though, did you find the solution? If so, it would be nice if you could share it with others, so they can learn from it. Thanks.

This ended up being a proprietary storage server issue. They use a special driver that doesn't seem to work with virtio. It works fine with vmxnet3...but now there's no possibility of 10Gb speed. :-(

This ended up being a proprietary storage server issue. They use a special driver that doesn't seem to work with virtio. It works fine with vmxnet3...but now there's no possibility of 10Gb speed. :-(
If you don't need to migrate the storage, you could pass through a local NIC.

Yes, I'm aware...but that's not the direction I wanted to go. Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!