Using ZFS with MBR (cannot use GPT...)

hakim

Oct 4, 2010
Hi,

In the page Storage: ZFS, it is mentionned 2 times : "(important: use GPT partition table)"

Unfortunately, I am using a server that is alredy pre-installed with Proxmox4, but on an MBR partionned disk, and I cannot change it.
I manage to create extra-partitions on that disk in order to create a Zpool to use on Proxmox.
Do you think that I might face problems going that way ?
And if so, what kind of problems ?

Thanks,
Hakim

You can't change the existing installation... you can but an new install on ZFS is easier. But you can add a few this to your server on an extra new pool. That is easy. Put the disks in, for example 4 disks for Raid10 and do an zpool. With one command everything is done.
Code:
zpool create -f -o ashift=12 <pool-name> mirror <device1> <device2> mirror <device3> <device4>

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. But my problem is a bit different.

I have a server with an existing disk (already installed, using MBR). I cannot add any new disk, and therefore my question is about : if I add on this existing disk :
- a partition for the data (MBR / primary)
- a partition for the logs (MBR / logical - not enough primary partitions...)
and create a zpool with these two partitions (which I already did, and so far it seems to be working), may I expect problems because it is based on MBR ?

Thanks,
Hakim

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. But my problem is a bit different.

I have a server with an existing disk (already installed, using MBR). I cannot add any new disk, and therefore my question is about : if I add on this existing disk :
- a partition for the data (MBR / primary)
- a partition for the logs (MBR / logical - not enough primary partitions...)
and create a zpool with these two partitions (which I already did, and so far it seems to be working), may I expect problems because it is based on MBR ?

Thanks,
Hakim
I don't really know this, but yes ZFS does work also on Partition. Recommended the whole disk. Maybe ZFS works also on MBR. Better you test it with an other machine.

>> Better you test it with an other machine.

I already did a test and I can create VMs, and do some little things...

But, I would prefer to get a feedback from either the Proxmox team, or any people using such a config before going in prod and discover that for some reason, this is not reliable.
I did some search and could not find another place with the statement writen by the Proxmox team : "(important: use GPT partition table)" ,
What are the kind of problems to be expected : performance issue, security issue, crash... ?

Thanks,
Hakim

Hi Tom,

>> You already got an answer, more or less all is said.

Well in fact, I got an answer, but not to my question which is about the Proxmox statement about GPT partition table (see below) :

I did some search and could not find another place with the statement writen by the Proxmox team : "(important: use GPT partition table)"
What are the kind of problems to be expected : performance issue, security issue, crash... ?

This is why I was expecting to have another answer...

Best regards,
Hakim

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!