using Proxmox VE as a cloud computing platform ?

ILeA

Renowned Member
Apr 20, 2009
Hello Everyone! I hope you are doing grate.

This is the second time I visit the forum for a last 13 years :) .Why, because long time ago I install Proxmom 1.3 cluster with a few nodes and it running well even now. I provide kind of "hosting service" for a local company and they keep data on my site in the very private network. So, it allows me do not thinking about lot of things...

Looks like my client would like to have a real private cloud and extend my service from just few VM to much more. However, good for me, they not dreaming about ChatGPT or other facy things, they would like to have a customer portal with minor functions for manage their VMs and some spetial busines related funcrions, which not exist in Proxmox GUI for obvious reason.

So, nothing I can do just make my own GUI, thanks to API. But, looks like a lot of changes hapens since Proxmox 1 and any advice will be highly appreciated.
I going to replace my old cluster with 6 nodes to new one, probably this time it will be not more than 10 nodes,imlement some busines functions in my GUI, deploy complitely new cluster using Proxmox 7 or 8 and hope it will run next 10 years ))

Just a question: imagine you have based on Proxmox VE cloud and your own stanalone web GUI, how would you manage rights in this case? create own RBAC model inside standalone GUI and do everithing on the cluster from the single API token? Or just lay on Proxmox VE Authentication Server and each request from standalone GUI will be done with unique API token or from unique user? Or I really should look towards ldap beacuse I going to have standalone GUI? Again, any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ilya

Reactions: jsterr
Sorry to interrupt your post, but can you share some screenshots how Proxmox looked in Version 1.3 (I started with 5 or 6)

Why, because long time ago I install Proxmom 1.3 cluster with a few nodes and it running well even now.
:cool:
Were there ever any hardware issues during all that time?

I guess it comes down to what you want. Having users in both systems, Proxmox VE and the custom mgmt interface would mean that they need to be synced. LDAP can help, but then you would probably need to automate the creation of API tokens for each user and keep them in sync and the permissions they should have.
Using only one central API token and handling all permissions in the custom interface will make life easier, but if there is a security issues/leak/bug there, it could mean that users have an easier time doing nefarious things.

Creating API tokens for users and creating permissions can be automated though through the API. Resource pools might be handy as well.

Reactions: Max Carrara
Sorry to interrupt your post, but can you share some screenshots how Proxmox looked in Version 1.3 (I started with 5 or 6)
I will bring a few screenshots later, but sorry for dissapointing you, the interface have simular dising pus or minus, however I belive is was much simple than in modern days :) or I getting old, what is more likely.

Reactions: jsterr
Were there ever any hardware issues during all that time?
I use industrial grade servers, so NO, was no any issues, except counless hdd changes, but it is ok. In any case what I learn, it is about key rule - if you would like your server work 10+ years it should be low perfomance server :)

Creating API tokens for users and creating permissions can be automated though through the API. Resource pools might be handy as well.
Thank you, starting to learn pools and permissons. Any chance find on the forum set of rermissions (network, pve, storage) for a client (user) which will allow create, delete, manage VMs and networks and read only resouces in the pool?

Last edited:
Thank you, starting to learn pools and permissons. Any chance find on the forum set of rermissions (network, pve, storage) for a client (user) which will allow create, delete, manage VMs and networks and read only resouces in the pool?
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#user_mgmt

Create a test user and play around. If you open the WebUI in another browser/private session, make sure to do a full reload after each permission change. The browser's cache sometimes causes certain UI elements not to load, even if the permission has been granted in the meantime.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!