Using external drives

kcallis

Apr 5, 2018
I have two external 4TB usb drives that I wanted to use as a storage pool. I installed PM 6.1 using the standard method with LVM layout. I see there is a way to do an install with ZFS, but I thought I would go with the default. On the other hand, I thought that I would create a zpool using the two external drives since that is usually my go to method of doing with storage. Would it be better to just create a LVM pool or go with zfs?

LVM and ZFS are very different. For example, LVM is block level while ZFS is file level. Have you seen the comparison of storage types on our wiki?

LVM and ZFS are very different. For example, LVM is block level while ZFS is file level. Have you seen the comparison of storage types on our wiki?

I think before I become concerned with whether I use LVM or ZFS, I really need to understand why I can't utilize the drives although proxmox sees the drives. When I look at the Disks, it see the drives but sees then as partitions. What should I need to do so that PM sees them as devices that then I can create them as LVM devices or (if I am so inclined) ZFS devices?

, I really need to understand why I can't utilize the drives although proxmox sees the drives. When I look at the Disks, it see the drives but sees then as partitions. What should I need to do so that PM sees them as devices that then I can create them as LVM devices or (if I am so inclined) ZFS devices?

delete all the partitions on your external disks, and afterwards you should be able to see them as devices on the GUI: Node -> Disks -> LVM/ZFS -> Create -> choose your empty disk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!