Use lvm-thin as datastorage

larsen

Feb 28, 2020
I have a second PVE server that also has PBS (1.0.8) installed. This second server shall backup the VMs/CTs from the first one.
Most of the disk space is in LVM-thin as this will be used for VMs.

Is it possible to use lvm-thin as a datastorage?

I don't know what kind of information would be useful to answer that question (if any), so here is the output of lvs.
Code:
atl-vm04:~# lvs
  LV     VG  Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  backup pve Vwi-aotz--  1.00t data        4.61
  data   pve twi-aotz-- <7.13t             0.65   0.43
  root   pve -wi-ao---- 96.00g
  swap   pve -wi-ao----  8.00g

You would need to create a new LV in the thin pool, format it with a file system and mount that.

Regarding the output of lvs above:
Do I have to resize "data" to make space for another LV or can I create a LV inside "data" (as it seems to be the case for "backup")?

No, the "data" is the thin pool in the VG pve. Checkout the lvmthin manpage (man thinlvm) and the example 4.
The thinpool is "data" and the VG is "pve".

Thanks a lot!

Command to be used (example) would be:
Code:
lvcreate -n thin1 -V 1M --thinpool data pve

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!