Updating Python from 2.x to 3.x in Proxmox VE 6.1-7

DavidHarrison1968

Jun 15, 2019
Hi all,

I am currently running Proxmox VE 6.1-7 ( Linux proxmox1 5.3.18-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.3.18-2 ) which includes Python 2.7.16.

As I also run Zabbix 4.x as a monitoriting tool in my environment (in a VM) I would also like to monitory my Proxmox hosts.

I stumbled upon this article/solution ( https://github.com/takala-jp/zabbix-proxmox ) which has system requirements of Proxmox 5 or later and Python 3.4 or later.

Has anyone successfully updated Python on a Proxmox 6.1 host without issue - and can suggest the correct procedure without breaking any existing Proxmox functionality?

Thanks

David

hmmm.... from my shell...

Last login: Sun May 10 17:12:46 AEST 2020 on pts/0
Linux proxmox1 5.3.18-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.3.18-2 (Sat, 15 Feb 2020 15:11:52 +0100) x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
root@proxmox1:~# which python
/usr/bin/python
root@proxmox1:~# python
Python 2.7.16 (default, Oct 10 2019, 22:02:15)
[GCC 8.3.0] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>

though looking at the script, it looks like it calls Python3 specifically..

Attachments

• proxmox_cluster.zip
    30.9 KB · Views: 7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!