Updating a network config on a restored VM

Klueze

May 27, 2020
Hi there,
I’m a newbie on Proxmox and Linux too. I have a little network where I work, this network is connected via VPN with the main servers located far away where all the net services resides, similar to my case exists other nodes with the same configuration. The connection between these two points is managed by pfsense installed on a computer virtualized on Proxmox. The problem occurred when the OS of the Proxmox host crashed. I’m not the system administrator, normally this will be solved with a simple re-install, but as I said before I’m very far from the company and now the travelling is restricted because the COVID-19, so I proceeded to do it myself. The first step that I made was to copy the last backup (only one) of the pfsense VM existing on the hard disk, after that I re-installed Proxmox 5.4-3, when I tried to restore the VM (pfsense) the image was corrupted, so I look up for other backup similar to mine with the hope of restoring it and change the pfsense rules corresponding to my network. I restored successfully the pfsense VM. I logged in and reset the admin password, after that I configured the WAN and LAN NICs and changed the IP to a corresponding address in my network, but I’m not able to communicate with it through the web interface from a real PC. I suppose the problem is the configuration of the NICs on Proxmox and/or the pfsense VM. Finally the questions are:
In this scenario, after the restore of the pfsense VM on Proxmox what will be the steps to fallow in order to get connection with the VM from a real PC?
It is possible to repair with some tool a corrupted .vma image just to see the content inside it?
These are some clarifying elements:
The Proxmox host has only one node with two NICs.
There are two bridges created. vmbr0 pointing to enp3s0f0 (with IP 10.88.110.217 the Proxmox IP) and vmbr1 pointing to enp4s0 (with no IP).
The pfsense VM has two Network devices linked each one of them to the previously mentioned bridges.
The network IP range is: 10.88.110.1 - 10.88.110.254
The network address is: 10.88.110.0/24
The pfsense IP is: 10.88.110.25
The Proxmox IP is: 10.88.110.217

Thanks in advance, sorry my English,
Klueze.

It is best to also have a separate backup of the pfsense config and the config of Proxmox VE. Especially the network config (/etc/network/interfaces). This allows to just copy over the files and have the exact same setup.

A vma archive is just a container that holds the VMs disks. You will to extract the archive and then you can try to recover the images. But depending on what is broken, that might not be an easy task.

Usually the web interface int visible on the public side of the pfsense. So I suppose, you may have just switched the interfaces for the pfsense?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!