[Unofficial] proxmox kernel 4.8.1

luxflow

Nov 20, 2016
[What is it]
unofficially built proxmox 4.8 kernel based on ubuntu yakkety
Proxmox custom patchs are all applied and deleted already applied patch in yakkety kernel
BRBD driver update, and change to use ubuntu kernel drivers instead of source driver for igb, igbxe, e1000e
To see what changes, check out my commit log
ALTHOUGH I TESTED, THIS IS UNOFFICIAL KERNEL, BEAR IN MIND

[Why new kernel]
For new features!
In my case, from kernel 4.6, IGD(Intel intergrated Graphics Device) passthrough support!

[How to install]
0. backup your proxmox environment
1. download all deb
https://github.com/luxflow/pve-kernel/releases/tag/4.8.1
2. dpkg -i *.deb && apt-get install -f
3. reboot
4. check uname -a
5. apt-mark hold proxmox-ve
to ignore proxmox kernel update

I hope you enjoy
if you like, give me a star in github XD

Last edited:
Reactions: chrone and gardar
@luxflow: could you please
  • change your changelog entries to not be signed with "support@proxmox.com" - given that this is a completely unsupported unofficial build this might give a different impression, especially for people stumbling upon the repository from somewhere else than the forum. I assume this was not done with bad intent but just lazy copy+paste
  • adapt the build script to build with different package names to prevent future clashes in case we build 4.8-based kernels of our own (feel free to just prefix them differently or add your own additional prefix, this is just to prevent version conflicts between the official packages and yours)
(also "apt-mark proxmox-ve" is not a valid command, not sure what the intention was there..)

I hope you are not discouraged or take this personal (because that is not the intention of this post), I think it is great that people experiment and fix issues they are experiencing on their own if it's not (yet or easily) possible to fix them officially. Having this freedom is one of the great advantages of FOSS development after all :)

Reactions: chrone
Thanks!! I also test on a nested Proxmox VM and work. Any chance to update to 4.9 is a Longterm release now ;)?

I'm looking to get MPLS at the host, with the idea to get a EVPN (preferable for active/active path) or VPLS between Proxmox OVS to avoid vlan creation at intermediate L2 switches. MPLS Linux Kernel feature is available since v4.5+ (that is what I identify online), therefore 4.9 would be awesome :).

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Last edited:
I realy would appreciate a new build based on kernel 4.10 included all changes for the new AMD Ryzen CPUs, so I (we) can do some testing. Also (or) it would be realy nice if the proxmox team can give us access to an alpha release of pve-5 or at least to an kernel/kvm version with included Ryzen patches (acs-patch?,SMT scheduler?,other stuff?)

I realy would appreciate a new build based on kernel 4.10 included all changes for the new AMD Ryzen CPUs, so I (we) can do some testing. Also (or) it would be realy nice if the proxmox team can give us access to an alpha release of pve-5 or at least to an kernel/kvm version with included Ryzen patches (acs-patch?,SMT scheduler?,other stuff?)

there will be something available soon - please be patient. if you don't want to wait, you can always build from git (the pve-kernel repository's master branch is already switched to 4.10 for the upcoming 5.0) - but as it is pre-release, except stuff to break or not work, and don't expect much or any support from us (yet)!

Reactions: chrone

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!