Unknown disks on one node after joining the cluster

freak12techno

Dec 7, 2022
I have 2 proxmox servers (proxmox-1, proxmox-3, both PVE 7.3). After creating a cluster on proxmox-1 and joining it on proxmox-3, I see additional disks on proxmox-3 host in the UI, with the same names as the disks on proxmox-1, but in status "unknown":
1671011050395.png1671011073296.png
/etc/pve/storage.cfg on both nodes (looks identical):
dir: local path /var/lib/vz content vztmpl,backup,iso zfspool: local-zfs pool rpool/data content images,rootdir sparse 1 lvm: disk1 vgname disk1 content images,rootdir shared 1 lvm: disk2 vgname disk2 content images,rootdir shared 1 lvm: disk3 vgname disk3 content images,rootdir shared 1 lvm: disk4 vgname disk4 content rootdir,images shared 1 lvm: disk5 vgname disk5 content images,rootdir nodes proxmox-3 shared 1 lvm: disk6 vgname disk6 content rootdir,images nodes proxmox-3 shared 1 lvm: disk7 vgname disk7 content rootdir,images nodes proxmox-3 shared 1 lvm: disk8 vgname disk8 content rootdir,images nodes proxmox-3 shared 1

How can I resolve it so they will be displayed properly?

you need to restrict local storages that are not available on all nodes (can be done on the GUI -> Datacenter -> Storage -> Edit -> "Nodes")

Reactions: Pyromancer
you need to restrict local storages that are not available on all nodes (can be done on the GUI -> Datacenter -> Storage -> Edit -> "Nodes")
I already set all of the disks as shared (as I want them to be accessible on all servers), didn't help, and all of them were not shared before, which was leading to the same error.

UPD: after updating all the disks on proxmox-1 to be available to proxmox-1 only and same for proxmox-3 it seems to be fixed. It doesn't like when I enable the disk on multiple nodes though, but it seems to do the trick for now.

Last edited:
well, "shared" means that you tell PVE that this storage is available and has the same contents on all nodes (i.e., because it's an export from a file-server, or something like Ceph/Gluster/DRBD/..), not that PVE will somehow magically share it for you ;)

Just wanted to note this answer has solved a problem I was having, where the one machine in a 3 node cluster that doesn't have a /tank2 was showing tank2, but unknown status, which in turn was causing any attempt to migrate VMs off that node to fail with "zfs error: cannot open 'tank2': no such pool", even though the VM in question only referenced tank1.

Datacentre -> Storage -> Highlight tank2 -> Edit -> Nodes

Bit scary at first as I thought it was only going to allow "All Nodes" or a single one, but it lets you pick more than one host before you submit it. So tank2 now exists on nodes 1 and 2 but not 3, and I've just successfully migrated the first VM from 3 to 2, in preparation for the upgrade.

Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!