Unknown device in Win7 VM

Raptor039

Dec 12, 2018
Hi,

since I upgraded my proxmox server to 5.3 and after installed a new Win7 VM, I'm facing with an issue. In the devices manager, a new uknown device appeared and for which there is no drivers found in the virtio driver iso.

It seems this new device (qemuvgid) is linked to a PVE new feature : VM Generation ID.

Do you know if I can found somewhere a driver for my Win 7 guest to solve this issue or I should just leave it unconfigured ?

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards.

I stumbled upon this when I searched for the unknown device. But I couldn't find a working solution... I tried for a while and found this solution:
1.) Download the Integration Services from Microsoft Download Center:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...nents-update-for-windows-virtual-machines-tha
2.) Open a Powershell with Admin-rights
3.) Execute this:
Dism /online /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\packages\package.cab
(You have to change the path to the path where you put the downloaded cab file)

I stumbled upon this when I searched for the unknown device. But I couldn't find a working solution... I tried for a while and found this solution:

3.) Execute this:

Resolved my issue. Thanks for the post.

I had a problem starting the qemu-agent on Win7.

Install this solved the problem (after installing the qemu-agent, it just refused to start with error 1053. I had 3 unknown peripherals. Installing the drivers allowed the qemu agent to start)

I found online information nowhere. So I put this here, since it solved this issue.

Thanks to the previous posters for helping me too.

Then for those who did not find it, some other page pointed me to the last qemu agent:
New users cannot post links ... So, search qemu-ga-win-7.6.2-2.el7ev on your preferred search tool to find the latest and working qemu guest agent.
which solved the NO IP address in the summary page with (the old) qemu-agent installed

Christian

Last edited:
Yes, I got confused by their "order" (and their naming conventions), too...

agreed,,, especially downloading files off a nextcloud site owned by a russian. ;)

The solution that have been posted is only for 64-bit OSes.
I had some headache trying to locate the needed cab file for 2008 32-bit server OS.
Regardless ... the moderator here can kill the post with the link if needed.

Hahaha yes :D

Look into #3, there is a link to the MS download page, which also includes the CABs for 32bit OSes. Server 2008 is based on the Vista-kernel, 2008 R2 on Windows 7. So for 2008 R2 32bit you should give the CAB for x86 Windows 7 a try.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...nents-update-for-windows-virtual-machines-tha
3.) Execute this:
Thanks! It works on VM with win serv 2008.

Thanks! It works on VM with win serv 2008.
Hello all,
I have 2 VMS Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64 that I've successfully imported to my Proxmox VE. I have the VM_Gen_Counter unknown device in the device manager. I was trying to follow the ChikiHh instructions but I cannot run DISM on my VMS it seems I don't have DISM.exe on them. Can anyone help me? Thanks

3.) Execute this:
Thank you @tobby - this worked for me :)
Windows 2008 R2 64-bit clean install on zfspool on Proxmox 7.2-3, after converting boot disk from IDE to VirtIO SCSI and installing QEMU Guest Agent - just had one unknown device left of type QEMUVGID.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!