[SOLVED] UNCLAIMED Device - EVGA GTS 450 - VGA Arbitration - SeaBIOS - Ubuntu 16.04

leoj3n

May 19, 2016
Chicago
Hardware:
Software:
<vmid>.conf:
Code:
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 4
memory: 2048
name: UBUNTU
hostpci0: 03:00,x-vga=on
net0: bridge=vmbr0,virtio=32:63:36:32:33:62
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=c5157a1d-39c0-4298-83cc-1f7acafc58b0
sockets: 1
tablet: 0
virtio0: dat:vm-100-disk-1,size=32G

Baremetal Quirks:

To get the GTS 450 card working with default nouveau driver on Ubuntu installed natively on baremetal, I had to change to boot using "offboard" VGA in Supermicro BIOS, versus default "onboard".

Otherwise, Ubuntu would use the onboard graphics and ast driver, ignoring the GTS 450. Blacklisting the ast driver caused Ubuntu graphics to error unless mobo BIOS set to "offboard" before boot.

I did not expect to HAVE to specify "offboard" in mobo BIOS, and probably has implications regarding failure to see graphics when virtualizing with x-vga.

VGA Arbitration Off:

When the <vmid>.conf contains "hostpci0: 03:00", the VM boots into Ubuntu graphically but is using virtual VGA with cirrus driver and the GTS 450 is "UNCLAIMED" without a driver:
Code:
leoj@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -c video
  *-display:0
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: GD 5446
       vendor: Cirrus Logic
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 00
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: vga_controller rom
       configuration: driver=cirrus latency=0
       resources: irq:0 memory:f8000000-f9ffffff memory:fe4d0000-fe4d0fff memory:fe4c0000-fe4cffff
  *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
       product: GF106 [GeForce GTS 450]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 10
       bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:fa000000-fbffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:fe400000-fe47ffff

VGA Arbitration On:

When the <vmid>.conf contains "hostpci0: 03:00,x-vga=on", the VM boots into Ubuntu, but the virtualized VGA device has disappeared and there are no graphics displayed over VNC:
Code:
leoj@local:~$ ssh leoj@10.0.1.36
leoj@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -c video
  *-display UNCLAIMED
       physical id: 10
       bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:f8000000-f9ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:fe400000-fe47ffff

Ubuntu is running and I can SSH into it, but it seems to have no graphics adapter available for display!

Edit: I think this was the case because I needed to restart the entire Proxmox node for various reasons before the card could be picked up again after updating the <vmid>.conf; See "Final note" in reply below.

I enabled SSH on the VM like so:
Code:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server
sudo ufw allow 22
# then note IP address of Ubuntu VM in System Settings > Network

An alternative to connecting by SSH would be to use serial terminal, by first enabling it on the host:
Code:
qm set 100 -serial0 socket
# this adds a line to the <vmid>.conf

Then on the VM:
Code:
sudo vi /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=tty0 console=ttyS0"
sudo update-grub
# stop and then re-start the VM

And finally, back on the host:
Code:
qm terminal 100

Regarding Devices on Proxmox HOST:

I don't think the Proxmox VE host node is using the GTS 450, because I successfully followed the PCI Passthrough guide for compatability with SeaBIOS (not OMVF/UEFI because the GTS 450 has no support).

Result of lshw on the host (after installing lshw to the host via apt-get):
Code:
root@proxmox:~# lshw -c video
  *-display
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=vfio-pci latency=0
       resources: irq:32 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e8000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:d000(size=128) memory:f8000000-f807ffff
  *-display
       product: ASPEED Graphics Family
       vendor: ASPEED Technology, Inc.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
       version: 30
       width: 32 bits
       capabilities: pm msi vga_controller cap_list
       configuration: driver=ast latency=0
       resources: irq:18 memory:f9000000-f9ffffff memory:fa000000-fa01ffff ioport:b000(size=128)

Conclusion:

How can I get VGA arbitration to work with my GTS 450 in an Ubuntu VM?

Please consider that I was only able to get the GTS 450 card working on baremetal Ubuntu by setting "offboard" in mobo BIOS settings, and that the device is UNCLAIMED in the Ubuntu VM when x-vga=on.

(Edit: Probably because I needed to restart the entire Proxmox node, see final note in reply below...)

Please help me with your suggestions as to what I should try next! How can I get the GTS 450 card out of UNCLAIMED state on the VM? Ubuntu is running and the device is there, but Why doesn't it use it!?

Let me know any log info you want to see from the VM.