[SOLVED] Unable to pass vlan to trunk

Prox815

Jun 13, 2021
Pfsense vm cannot detect the WAN connection.
I can manage PVE through a managed switch.
Also, I want to set up VLANs in Pfsense, so that the management VLANID of Pfsense will also the same as that of proxmox.
After installation of Pfsense, I cannot login to web interface through the switch.

I have tried the following configurations in proxmox but did not work out:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp8s0 inet manual

# Pve management port
auto vmbr0.98
iface vmbr0.98 inet static
        address  192.168.98.251
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.98.254

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp8s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes

Not sure what is the problemo_Oo_O

Last edited:
This is perhaps because of the PVE Firewall [0]. Try deactivating at the VM level (of the pfSense firewall VM)

Other question: Why don't you use multiple interfaces for the pfSense VM? So the firewall VM would not have to bother with VLANs.

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Firewall

I have disable the firewalls on Datacentre, on Node and on the VM. Still cannot gain public ip address from ISP.

Last edited:
You can only have 1 untagged VLAN on a port and that should also be the PVID.

Last edited:
How did you modify it? Could you show another screenshot of your switch's VLAN config?
Here are my modifications:
Modification in switch 1.png
(mod 1)

Modification in switch 2.png
(mod 2)

i set port 1 and port 8 non-member of VLAN 1, and chnage the PVID of port 8 from 1 to 99.

Now that you have one VLAN untagged on those two ports you have to define the address of your host directly on vmbr0.
If you want to have the address on vmbr0.98 you have to put VLAN 98 tagged on the trunk.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!