Unable To Install Proxmox

Curtisestep

Jan 5, 2021
USA
Good day, my friends. I hope you are doing well. I'm posting this today in response to a request. When I try to install " Proxmox" on my Windows 10 PC, I get an error notice that says "problem opening file for writing." Even when I put in my best effort to install it, the problem persists. Is there anyone who can assist me in resolving this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I am not entirely sure what you are trying to do but Proxmox VE is based on the Linux distribution Debian. You cannot install Proxmox itself on top of Windows. You may be able to run a VM of Proxmox VE, but then you need to enable nested virtualization with whatever virtualization solution you are using within Windows to run PVE properly.

If you downloaded the ISO and expect it run like any other program within Windows, you won't succeed. You need to write it to a USB key using a program like balena Etcher. You can then boot from said USB key and install Proxmox from there, but that will likely mess up your Windows install. While dual booting is possible, it is not recommended.

Sorry but I am still unsure what exactly you are trying to do, but your issue has been resolved if I understand you correctly?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!