Unable to increase disk size of Windows VM

gdi2k

Aug 13, 2016
I'm trying to increase the size of the C drive of a Windows 10 guest VM, which uses VirtIO drivers.

I shut down the Windows guest and then resized the disk within Proxmox web UI, which went fine. After starting the guest back up, the disk still shows as the old size though, so I can't extend it.

Any ideas what went wrong and how I can fix it?

Screenshots attached. part.png win10-part.png

Hi,

check the image size on the ceph cluster

rbd info <poolname>/vm-302-disk-1

rbd image 'vm-302-disk-1':
size 164 GB in 41984 objects
order 22 (4096 kB objects)
block_name_prefix: rbd_data.cd3512ae8944a
format: 2
features: layering
flags:

Sorry, I assumed that Windows would see it after the first boot if I increased the disk size while the guest was shut down. It actually requires 2 restarts to be seen by Windows for whatever reason.

Thanks for your help, extending the partition worked perfectly after the second reboot. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!