Trouble with new install on HW raid

Cecil

Sep 22, 2017
I'm setting up a new server with proxmox 5, I ran some tests on a older machine and finally got my new one today.

I'm using an IBM Thinksystem SR550

It has 2 raid controllers,
1. M.2 riser kit on motherboard (2x 32Gb Raid 1)
2. Thinksystem raid 930-8i 2Gb cache (shows up in lspci as: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID Tri-Mode SAS3508)

I had no trouble seeing the first 32Gb m.2 ssd raid and installed everything on that and then tried to access the other volume where i have a hardware Raid 5 volume created.
Problem is it seems like I need a driver or something to access that controller/volume and I'm a little lost now.

I went to IBM's site to look for a driver:
And tried to install that with alien -ic stor....blabla
The command completed with no output but I cannot verify that it worked, MegaCLI command still does not exist or work.

Could someone please give me some ideas of what to do next?

Do you see the RAID in the BIOS during startup? MegaCLI can be downloaded separately. While the docs say that there is Linux support, Debian is not listed separately. Do you see the RAID with Debian?

The LSI MegaRaid 94xx Series (SAS3508) work from Kernel 4.11 and up. Debian 9.x or Proxmox have 4.09 or 4.10.
You need to compile a new Kernel with the driver. Debian Buster/SID with Kernel 4.12 work fine.
I hope Proxmox will update their Kernel soon.

Linux Kernel Driver DataBase: cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/MEGARAID_NEWGEN.html

Marcel

Thanks for the response guys.
I'm a bit of a newb with all this but I think Alwin has already given me something to work with. There is two raid controllers and only one Bios/setup promt appears and that one is for the two M.2 SSD's.
The Other controller does not pop up the "PRess Ctrl-H for setup" screen. I'm trying to figure out why that does not happen.

@mdbinder

My current uname-a is:
Linux pve 4.10.17-3-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.10.17-21 (Thu, 31 Aug 2017 14:57:17 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

So I'm on kernel 4.10.17-21 right? I'll try to figure out how to do the update to 4.12

If you are able to wait a little, PVE 5.1 is planned for mid/end of October with kernel 4.13.

So right now there is no way around this until proxmox releases a new update with kernel? Is there no experimental option to just limp along until then?
Maybe this way I can start doing some tests?

*edit* just confirmed with Ubuntu and kernel 4.12.14 that it works fine.

Guess I'll have to wait a while :(

Last edited:
So right now there is no way around this until proxmox releases a new update with kernel? Is there no experimental option to just limp along until then?
Maybe this way I can start doing some tests?

*edit* just confirmed with Ubuntu and kernel 4.12.14 that it works fine.

Guess I'll have to wait a while :(

watch the forum, once there are 4.13 kernel packages for testing there will be a post :)

Reactions: GadgetPig
Or as @mdbinder said, you also can build the driver for the controller yourself. There is pve-headers package in the repository for that.

I'm waaay too newb to figure out how to build that kernel, I thought proxmox uses a modified deb kernel and we cant just use the vanilla one. Is there a guide or easier to follow how-to somewhere on building a kernel?

Alternatively if i stay on deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pvetest and do apt-get dist-upgrade every once in a while I should get the latest test versions soon'ish right?

I'm waaay too newb to figure out how to build that kernel, I thought proxmox uses a modified deb kernel and we cant just use the vanilla one. Is there a guide or easier to follow how-to somewhere on building a kernel?
Yes, it is a patched Kernel. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Kernel

Alternatively if i stay on deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pvetest and do apt-get dist-upgrade every once in a while I should get the latest test versions soon'ish right?
Yes

We use the Ubuntu kernel and have additional settings and patches, the repository is called pve-kernel. For building DEB packages, you need to setup your build environment. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation

As @fabian suggested, best to wait and look for a post in the forum.

Nice, that was easy to install and now it sees the LSI raid controller but one slight issue. When I try and log in to the GUI I just get :
This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.230 refused to connect.

Is there a log file that might point me in the right direction to solve this? I tried to disable the firewall and look at syslog and auth.log but i see nothing wrong.
I can ssh to the machine with no errors just no https connection :(

Nvmd I must have broken something playing with the packages, i did:
apt-get install pve-manager

And its all good now.

Last edited:
Nice, that was easy to install and now it sees the LSI raid controller but one slight issue. When I try and log in to the GUI I just get :
This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.230 refused to connect.

Is there a log file that might point me in the right direction to solve this? I tried to disable the firewall and look at syslog and auth.log but i see nothing wrong.
I can ssh to the machine with no errors just no https connection :(

Nvmd I must have broken something playing with the packages, i did:
apt-get install pve-manager

And its all good now.

you should probably also (re-)install the proxmox-ve package, otherwise you won't get kernel and other updates.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!