[SOLVED] Throughput issues across VLANs with OVS and virtualized pfSense, is my network configuration the problem?

jsalas424

Jul 5, 2020
I'm trying to hunt down a network throughput issue I'm having in my virtualized environment. It was suggested that perhaps my OVS config could be to blame and so I wanted to get a sanity check on what I'm working with.

X-post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/r9jbci/low_throughput_across_vlans_virtualized_pfsense/
X-post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/co..._vlans_virtualized_pfsense/hndeeqq/?context=3

I am getting <200Mbps throughput across VLANs and am looking for help. There are no network devices between the computers being tested, they're on the same physical machine along with the pfsense VM and all share the same NIC.

Here you see Untagged Hypervisor <-> Tagged VM. Low Bandwidth and high Rtry
Code:
jon@Serv:~$ iperf -e -c zoneminder -n 250M
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to zoneminder, TCP port 5001 with pid 23648
Write buffer size:  128 KByte
TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.1.129 port 60166 connected with 192.168.3.10 port 5001
[ ID] Interval        Transfer    Bandwidth       Write/Err  Rtry    Cwnd/RTT
[  3] 0.00-10.93 sec   250 MBytes   192 Mbits/sec  2000/0        146     1030K/39198 us

Additional Details:
Yes I followed the config per here: https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/recipes/virtualize-proxmox-ve.html and have disabled hardware checksums

Network Config Details:
Hypervisor
r/PFSENSE - Low throughput across VLANs. Virtualized pfSense + Proxmox + VMs + OpenvSwitch.
VM
r/PFSENSE - Low throughput across VLANs. Virtualized pfSense + Proxmox + VMs + OpenvSwitch.
Additional Troubleshooting steps:
- I ruled out a faulty NIC. I get 1G throughput and no retries when testing from Hypervisor <-> Untagged VM
Code:
jon@TracheServ:~$ iperf -e -c nfs -n 250M
Client connecting to nfs, TCP port 5001 with pid 16667
Write buffer size:  128 KByte
TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.1.129 port 59384 connected with 192.168.1.139 port 5001
[ ID] Interval        Transfer    Bandwidth       Write/Err  Rtry    Cwnd/RTT
[  3] 0.00-0.19 sec   250 MBytes  11.1 Gbits/sec  2000/0          0     1240K/156 us

- I performed a packet capture on pfSense in case that's helpful. I didn't see anything blaringly wrong on it but I have very little experience reading packet captures.
- I did have snort IDS enabled on the untagged interface, I disabled it and there was no difference
- I monitor my VMs via a Grafana dashboard, this isn't a case of the CPU being maxed out and limiting bandwidth.
- There are no limiters or traffic shaping going on.

Hardware/Software Details:
Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Network Interface Card
pfSense v2.4.5-RELEASE-p1 - VM has 6 CPUs + 2GB ECC RAM dedicated on a Xeon E7 v2
Proxmox Virtual Environment v6.4-13
Open vSwitch v2.12.3
VMs were both running Ubuntu 20.04

Last edited:
More troubleshooting:
- I attempted to configure with only Linux bridges or OVS bridges. Didn't help at all

1638880591862.png
1638880597472.png

It was the Broadcom NIC! I put in a dual-port Intel NIC and throughput is closer to ~900mbps across vlans.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!