The network card does not work properly when the first pci slot is used.

moqi2011

Jun 19, 2023
Steps:
1. Install PVE when PCI slot 1 is empty.
2. Close PVE, PCI slot 1 is inserted into the device.
3. Start PVE, and the network card light goes out after entering the PVE boot interface, restart still like this.

Inserting a device in PCI slot 2 does not have this problem.

Adding (or removing) PCI(e) devices can change the PCI ID of other devices (typically the ones numbered higher than the added (or removed) one). The network device name is derived from the PCI ID (which probably changed). You need to adjust the Proxmox network configuration accordingly. Several threads about this on this forum contain more details about this.

Adding (or removing) PCI(e) devices can change the PCI ID of other devices (typically the ones numbered higher than the added (or removed) one). The network device name is derived from the PCI ID (which probably changed). You need to adjust the Proxmox network configuration accordingly. Several threads about this on this forum contain more details about this.
Why does the PCI ID change affect the normal use of functions when PCI passthrough is not used?

Why does the PCI ID change affect the normal use of functions when PCI passthrough is not used?
The network device name is derived from the PCI ID (which probably changed).
The PCI ID's change because a device was inserted somewhere in between (complain to your motherboard/BIOS manufacturer). Therefore the names of your network devices change, because that's how Debian/Linux works unless you change the naming of the network devices. Therefore the Proxmox network configuration is no longer valid, because it uses the old names in the configuration. Note that I did not mention PCI(e) passthrough anywhere.

The PCI ID's change because a device was inserted somewhere in between (complain to your motherboard/BIOS manufacturer). Therefore the names of your network devices change, because that's how Debian/Linux works unless you change the naming of the network devices. Therefore the Proxmox network configuration is no longer valid, because it uses the old names in the configuration. Note that I did not mention PCI(e) passthrough anywhere.
I don't quite understand this situation. Does this situation exist under Linux? Why not identify the device by device ID but by PCI ID. According to my experience, both PCI devices and USB devices are plug and play.

I don't quite understand this situation. Does this situation exist under Linux? Why not identify the device by device ID but by PCI ID. According to my experience, both PCI devices and USB devices are plug and play.
The device ID would be problematic when you have multiple identical devices. I don't feel the need to convince you of any of this, but I do think it is what happens when you insert the network card. Please check for yourself using ip a and /etc/network/interfaces.

Now there is a new problem. If I pass through the device of PCI slot 1 to the guest, the network card becomes enp4s0 again when the guest is turned on, which again causes the network to be unavailable. Is there any way to resolve this conflict?
I have never seen that happen. The PCI ID should not change because of passthrough. It is common that devices disappear because they are in the same IOMMU group, but not change their name (even when based on PCI ID) that is determined during the boot process.
Anyway, you can set the network device names yourself (based on device ID or MAC) using udev rules. I have no experience with that but I'm sure it has come up here or on the Proxmox wiki and there are generic Linux guides on the internet.

I have never seen that happen. The PCI ID should not change because of passthrough. It is common that devices disappear because they are in the same IOMMU group, but not change their name (even when based on PCI ID) that is determined during the boot process.
Anyway, you can set the network device names yourself (based on device ID or MAC) using udev rules. I have no experience with that but I'm sure it has come up here or on the Proxmox wiki and there are generic Linux guides on the internet.
Not sure if the PCI ID has changed, I am now resorting to using another PCI slot to solve this problem. Because using this slot all the PCI IDs are out of order.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!