The lack of impact of freeing up VM space on the Proxmox node

Mohammadl

Aug 5, 2024
Hello, When I delete files or free up space within a virtual machine (VM), it doesn't directly translate to an equivalent decrease in the overall disk usage of the Proxmox node . it seems that it does not affect on proxmox node. what can i do?

I just looked and saw that the disk related to the VM has an option called "discard" that is not enabled. Is it possible to enable it now? Vm needs to be rebooted, right?

Yes, you can enable it. Please read the documentation above.

Thank you, I enabled Discard Option and rebooted the VM, but nothing changed, i then used command `fstrim -a -v` inside vm and then it worked! . I don't know why discard Option did not work But that command worked instead .

The fstrim command normally runs periodically, but won't do what you expected it to do without discard enabled. See

```
systemctl cat fstrim.timer
```

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohammadl

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!