The best File System to buid up a Proxmox cluster

merciers

Jan 9, 2022
Hello

I am volunteer administrator for a non profit organization in France . We have received a donation of an old hardware configuration with 2 servers and a SAN appliance:
  • 2 Serveurs IBM 7944 52G
1x Six-Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.4 GHz (12 MB cache), 1x 4 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1333 MHz LP SDRAM DIMM, 0x 0 GB 2.5-inch SAS/SATA Slim Hot-Swap hard drive (open bay), System Management processor, 2x Broadcom 5709 Gigabit Ethernet, Matrox G200eV (16 MB) video, 1x 460 W Power Supply

8 modules de 16Mo soit 128 Mo de RAM

Deux disques de 146 Go

• 1 baie SAN C2A 1746A2D
The IBM System Storage DS3512 Express Storage System has twelve 3.5-inch SAS drive bays. This model is configured with dual controllers, four 6 Gb SAS ports, and 2 GB cache. This model conforms to applicable NEBS level 3 and ETSI documents.

12 disques : 3x600 et 9x300 Go

I want to build up a HA cluster with this equipment.
I have been tod there could be some issues regarding naphots.

Can you tell me which are the right file systems I can put to be sure it will support snapshots.

Rgds
Sylvain

The starting point for your research is this page: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

Specifically the table of supported storage formats/features. The snapshot=yes storage is the one where snapshots are supported via Promox interface, i.e. you can point and click in UI to snapshot or rollback (or use CLI of course).

With two(+) servers attached to shared SAN storage your primary and semi-supported option:

Install and configure your own clustered file system (CFS). Use QCow VM disk format on top of it - snapshots will be supported within QCOw. The CFS management/support is completely separate from PVE.

There are few other DIY layered solutions, personally, I dont think its worth the trouble.

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!