[SOLVED] temporarily lost pve cluster node reappears

ioo

Renowned Member
Oct 1, 2011
Hi!

I think everything is under control but i would like to ask for confirmation that this is expected thinking-behaviour-etc of PVE cluster. Events happen in 20-ish node non-HA-configured v. 6.4 cluster (and also VM's are not configured to start automatically). Starting point is all nodes are present, storage is shared (lvm over iscsi), each node has some KVM-kind of virtual machines running. Next one node crashes due to physical memory error (actually this is something what got known some time later after crash has happened) and these virtual machines residing on crashed node are not working and they are not automatically migrated to other nodes.

In this situation i followed advice from https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_File_System_(pmxcfs)#_recovery i.e. residing at existing node i issued (i think wiki misses 'qemu-server' directory element from destination path) where xxx is respective vmid number

Code:
# mv /etc/pve/nodes/crashed-node/qemu-server/xxx.conf /etc/pve/nodes/existing-node/qemu-server/xxx.conf

In response to this change pve webgui shows under existing-node xxx.conf in non-running state. And since storage is shared i can successfully start this virtual machine. And so i treated also others (except one which is not needed). So far all good.

After some days got crashed node repaired like switching its hard disk into new physical computer, /etc/network/interfaces file is modified so it works with new hardware and so on.

Last step would be to make this node reappear in its old cluster-service-etc networks. My thinking is that pmxcfs and pve in general take good care of this reappering i.e. they see that there is conflict about under what node is xxx.conf virtual machine (and i am especially concerned because cluster has xxx.conf running). And conflict is resolved in favor to node where xxx.conf is running currently because there is quorum, configuration database is of newer date etc. I think that part of pve cluster configuration i am worried about gets forgotten what comes with old reapperaing node sqlite database; and in pve startup early phases reappearing node starts to use conf what it gets from cluster.

Actually i made also test about this kind of sequence of events and it seems to be like i described here, everything works. Esp. virtual machines what got manually moved over other nodes stay there and keep running after lost node reappeared; and those machines are not present at reappeared node; node itself is present in cluster normally (and no node rejoin needed etc).

A hope although i expressed my concern with lot of words it is still possible to understand and follow :) I would be thankful if somebody could comment on if this procedure i presented about node-getting-lost-cluster-conf-changing-node-reappearing-with-locally-saved-stale-conf treatment is adequate. And also maybe explaining at some lenght logic what happens behind the scene what makes this situation resolvable as it seems to be.

Best regards,

Imre

Hi!

I think everything is under control but i would like to ask for confirmation that this is expected thinking-behaviour-etc of PVE cluster. Events happen in 20-ish node non-HA-configured v. 6.4 cluster (and also VM's are not configured to start automatically). Starting point is all nodes are present, storage is shared (lvm over iscsi), each node has some KVM-kind of virtual machines running. Next one node crashes due to physical memory error (actually this is something what got known some time later after crash has happened) and these virtual machines residing on crashed node are not working and they are not automatically migrated to other nodes.

In this situation i followed advice from https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_File_System_(pmxcfs)#_recovery i.e. residing at existing node i issued (i think wiki misses 'qemu-server' directory element from destination path) where xxx is respective vmid number

Code:
# mv /etc/pve/nodes/crashed-node/qemu-server/xxx.conf /etc/pve/nodes/existing-node/qemu-server/xxx.conf

In response to this change pve webgui shows under existing-node xxx.conf in non-running state. And since storage is shared i can successfully start this virtual machine. And so i treated also others (except one which is not needed). So far all good.

After some days got crashed node repaired like switching its hard disk into new physical computer, /etc/network/interfaces file is modified so it works with new hardware and so on.

Last step would be to make this node reappear in its old cluster-service-etc networks. My thinking is that pmxcfs and pve in general take good care of this reappering i.e. they see that there is conflict about under what node is xxx.conf virtual machine (and i am especially concerned because cluster has xxx.conf running). And conflict is resolved in favor to node where xxx.conf is running currently because there is quorum, configuration database is of newer date etc. I think that part of pve cluster configuration i am worried about gets forgotten what comes with old reapperaing node sqlite database; and in pve startup early phases reappearing node starts to use conf what it gets from cluster.

Actually i made also test about this kind of sequence of events and it seems to be like i described here, everything works. Esp. virtual machines what got manually moved over other nodes stay there and keep running after lost node reappeared; and those machines are not present at reappeared node; node itself is present in cluster normally (and no node rejoin needed etc).

A hope although i expressed my concern with lot of words it is still possible to understand and follow :) I would be thankful if somebody could comment on if this procedure i presented about node-getting-lost-cluster-conf-changing-node-reappearing-with-locally-saved-stale-conf treatment is adequate. And also maybe explaining at some lenght logic what happens behind the scene what makes this situation resolvable as it seems to be.

Best regards,

Imre
Hi,
so yes the procedure you described here works. Since your VM disks reside on a shared storage, only the KVM process is local to the node, the rest is shared (including the VM config, which is shared via the pmxcfs [0]). So when the node failed, and you moved the config to a new node and started the VM from there, the corosync [1] service, which pmxcfs uses to keep consistent state throughout the cluster, registered this as new cluster state for the quorate part of the cluster (obviously not the node which was down at that time). Once the failed node came back online, it joins the cluster again and has to accept the new state from the quorate part of the cluster, therefore seeing the VM being now located on the other node. The startup phase is not problematic, since the node is in a read-only state up until to the point where it is quorate again, meaning it rejoined the other nodes and accepted all the state changes it had lost while not being online.

I hope that clarifies some of your concerns.

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pmxcfs
[1] http://corosync.github.io/corosync/

Reactions: Neobin
Hi!

Everything went as expected and very well. Thank you very much for your answer on my particular concern and more general comment! (I next try to mark this thread as 'SOLVED').

Best regards,

Imre

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!