Tape Job : Cancel job after running more than x hour

tecmtec

Aug 30, 2023
Hi,

I have configured a PBS with HP LTO6 with 1 mediapool/tape per job per day Monday for Monday etc etc. But I'm not the one who spins the tapes ( not in office )
proxmox-backup-server 3.1.2-1 running version: 3.0.3

Works fine when people spins tapes , but when holiday comes and tapes are not rotated , jobs tape continue to rotate, accumulating for each day , and claim the tape linked with his job. Now i have some troubles with jobs stuck ( that i have killed ) and backups timeline

( e.g : Tape jobs 28/12 running and waiting for right tape , Tape jobs 02/01 running and waiting for tape And an user put the tape of the same day that job 28/12 , I have now backup 1 week after with data of 28/12 while Tape jobs 02/01 still running and waiting . Not sure if i'm being clear)

So my question was : It's possible to set time out for a job ? I would like to cancel job if it running more than 24 hours

Last edited:
Probably it's something wrong with new version PBS I have a simillar issues with never ending task and stuck

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-backup-on-the-tapes.139226/
Hi thanks, but i use PBS 3.0.3 ( same if 3.1 are avaible ) , for me , the jobs continues to run it's "normal" because they waiting the good tape of day .

But with vacations/Holiday , when nobody put the rights tape in drive,this jobs accumulate .

I want to set up parameter to exit/cancel task after 24H running ( or ideally stop after 24H running without writing tape ) .

But with vacations/Holiday , when nobody put the rights tape in drive,this jobs accumulate .
why not disable the jobs then if it's known nobody will change the tapes?
another solution would be to use a tape changer, then nobody has to change the tapes (aside from the ones being transported offsite)

i have to think about having a timeout for waiting on a tape...

why not disable the jobs then if it's known nobody will change the tapes?
another solution would be to use a tape changer, then nobody has to change the tapes (aside from the ones being transported offsite)

i have to think about having a timeout for waiting on a tape...
Hi, thanks for respsonses .
1 : this causes a manual action , i will be aware for next time , but i'm not always "here" too
2: I had already an LTO6 driver , same in second hand storage loader 6/7 tapes are very expensive

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!